Chicken Head Knob unscrewable

Started by Elijah-Baley, February 09, 2015, 08:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elijah-Baley

Hello.
I bought from Tayda, in two different orders, 2 white Chicken Head knobs and 1 red Chicken Head knob.
But the screws doesn't have the drive! I looked inside with a light. My screwdiver turns with no effect.

There's something wrong with me or my knobs are weird?

How I can set these knobs?!  :icon_confused:

Thanks!
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

duck_arse

is the problem *no grub/set screw, *no thread on grub screw, *no brass insert for grub, *no thread for grub in insert, *wrong screwdriver tip, *product sourced from tadya ?

can we see photo of what you have?
don't make me draw another line.

GibsonGM

+1   A lot of the time, the screwdriver tip is either too fat for the slot in the screw, or it tapers too broadly to really go in the hole, so you're spinning ABOVE the screw, not really touching it....if so, you file the screwdriver edges a little to make it narrower.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Elijah-Baley

Tried to make a picture, but is complicated see deep enough, anyway I don't see the drive on the screw, really seems there's no. My screwdriver works with others knobs.

This is the knob: http://www.taydaelectronics.com/hardware/chickenhead-red-knob.html
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»

weasle76

Hi.
If they are the same as the ones I got from Tayda, you might want to try a 1.5mm hex key.

Hope this helps!
For full list of my shi... I mean stuff, please visit my BandMix page. http://www.bandmix.co.uk/waynep76/

Elijah-Baley

Elijah-Baley

Quote from: weasle76 on February 09, 2015, 09:18:20 AM
Hi.
If they are the same as the ones I got from Tayda, you might want to try a 1.5mm hex key.

Hope this helps!

C'mon!  :o

Brisance

seems like a flat/phillips peg, hexagonal hole problem

duck_arse

Quote from: Brisance on February 09, 2015, 09:30:06 AM
seems like a flat/phillips peg, hexagonal hole problem

took the words right out from under my fingers.

next question, why are tayda selling hex head set screw knobs?

weasle76

It caught me out a few times to start with! Not sure what the deal is, the other set screws have been slotted for a flat blade screwdriver.
It's just been on the chicken heads in my experience.
For full list of my shi... I mean stuff, please visit my BandMix page. http://www.bandmix.co.uk/waynep76/

Elijah-Baley

Everybody right, anyway. It is exactly an hex screw.

Anyway, I don't have an hex key, probably my cousin lost when I had borrow him my bad "statocaster" style guitar.
But... I done!  8)

Using this:

I don't know what is it. I have at home this thing from some weeks, maybe my father found it outside. Seems to me a glasses of a doll or a teddy bear. Whatever. I disassembled it and use to screw. That is not "hexed", but round, and with some difficulties it had worked.  ;D

I finished my Bazz Fuss 2-clipping mode.  ;)

Thank you guys!

Have fun as I do!  :P

Bishop Vogue

+1.  I've had the same issue with the same Tayda product, but use a hex key and it works perfectly.

Elijah-Baley

Yep, I need that key.  :-\
I'm going to buy a mex stratocaster and I should use a hex key for set the bridge.

duck_arse

the arm on ^ those glasses; I'm glad I'm not wearing ones like that.

looks like you coulda filed a shape on the bent end of that glasses arm, use it as an allen.

GGBB

EMG knobs use hex drive set screws.
  • SUPPORTER