Multiple pedal looper switcher recommendations?

Started by blackieNYC, February 09, 2015, 06:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackieNYC

I'm interested in building a programmable looper.  I would like programmability, in terms of preset combinations of loops, but I don't feel a need for pedal order-swapping, and design-wise it appears to complicate the build a good deal. This might help reduce the field, and the build - no order switching.
I see there are, or were, some kits available. That's an option, from scratch is an option as well. I'm familiar with RG's excellent take on the subject.
What else - everything is on the floor, no rackmount.  MIDI or non-midi. I'd like to avoid having to mod the switches in all my pedals. Some defend the neutrality of cmos switching, others tout true bypass. Whichever. I'll leave out a preferred number of loops in order to qualify more designs and design concepts.   More than a couple.   Thread links, koktail napkin sketches, koktails - all welcome.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

Mark Hammer

Get thee an Arduino of some sort, Alan.  One of those, and a suitable relay board will likely make everything a lot easier.

blackieNYC

Ugh.  Mark, I was hoping to not hear an arduino suggestion as the first post. It says a lot about what I'm asking to do, I guess. Okay, I'll do some homework there.  So complicated.  Can't find the right emoji.
Alright, there's one suggestion. 
  • SUPPORTER
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

Mark Hammer

Simple 16x2 LCD screens with push buttons for controlling and programming the unit can be gotten for peanuts, and the Arduinos or workalikes can also be gotten for peanuts.

I'm a fine one to talk, since I have done nothing with mine other than a few learning experiments, since I bought it a few years ago.  BUt as much as I dread the requirement to learn yet another in depth body of knowledge, the development software is actually pretty friendly, and there is a near-endless library of routines that others have developed.

Ultimately, if you want programmability, you're gonna need something capable of learning and remembering.  So it's gonna be some sort of microcontroller anyway.  May as well use something optimized for the task.

blackieNYC

Hardware-only versions I see are certainly a hell of a build, if you get a little ambitious regarding the number of loops.
  • SUPPORTER

vigilante397

I recently built a 4-channel programmable looper from a board and chip designed and programmed by a forum member.

I'd be more than happy to sell it, or if you have your heart set on making one yourself then PM me and I can give you the information of the gentleman that designed it, he's brilliant and a pleasure to work with. He says he also has a modular version designed where you can add as many loops as you want, but frankly 4 is enough for me (until I realized 2 was actually enough and an A/B/Y switch is actually plenty :P )
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

disto

A looper is on my todo list, I have most of the bits but I have yet to get stuck in and actually start. Too much to do and not enough time to do it in...

It can be done with logic gates and flip-flops, I built a fairly simple 3 loop switcher a few years ago. I would go down the Arduino route though.

mth5044

If Arduino is too scary, get a PICAXE. If a dullard like myself can program switching, so can anyone.