Lemon Drop/ZII

Started by Masco, February 18, 2015, 09:13:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Masco

From a few years ago from manufacturer:

If I have some spare time this week or during the weekend I'll draw up the schematics.  Neither circuit is based on the ROG circuits, it puzzles me it's even being suggested.  The tube to FET which I learned from ROG many years ago definitely inspired the Jelly Roll, but it's not based on any of their designs. 

The Jelly Roll uses the typical tube to FET process applied to an unknown model Supro (single end 6973).  If it's similar to any ROG circuit it would be the Supreaux but the only similarity would be the fact it uses 3 FETs and only has a similar output stage.  The first two gain stages are quite different, much closer to a the peramp of a 1624T Supro. The tone control is directly after the first stage and is closer to the tone control you'd find in a Thunderbolt.  It's not even remotely close to the Eighteen. You might want to look a little closer before using the word "identical"  :icon_rolleyes:

The Lemon Drop uses a similar idea as the Peppermill to push a JFET into overdrive, but it does it differently and I didn't get the idea from the Peppermill either.  If the idea of overdriving a JFET is unique to ROG, then I guess I'm guilty.  The input stage on the Lemon Drop is a BJT, not a MOSFET.  It's practically the same as the 7 Series input stage simply biased for 9V.  Transistor is a BC108B rather than BC107s used in the amp.  As simple as that sounds, it's what makes the pedal sound the way it does.  The JFET is a 2N5457, similar stage setup as the Peppermill, but that is so basic anyone could come up with that...  The tone control is set up like a range control on a Rangemaster copy.  There were 2 custom versions that were built with the 7 series tone stack.  The original prototype was a little more complex utilizing more features of the 7 series preamp but it never quite got the sounds of the amp.

Nothing mind blowing design wise, just building off basic building blocks, not another pedal.

[/quote]

Guess he never got around to posting the schematic..?  Has anyone traced the circuit? Would love to build one of these for the 7*** series Vox tone.