Making the chassis - ground connection

Started by JFace, February 18, 2015, 02:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR

For HIGH power (and high frequency) work, an inch of ground-length is considerable difference of voltage.

For low power and audio frequency, an entire pedal is "one point" for nearly all practical purpose.

And in modern pedalboards, "one point ground" is a fantasy. All your power returns and all your signal returns are paralleled all over the board. This even works great, nearly all the time.

When it makes trouble is when a dirty power supply must return through a sensitive input's ground return. That was kinda mandatory when we all used switch-jacks to turn-off a battery (but battery is clean and usually low-power). Switch-jack power may be a bad idea today.

Me, I would insist on 2 or 3 chassis bonds just because jacks get loose. "...an output jack came loose on stage and sounded like total @ss, lol." Same reason I have five ground-rods on my house. I don't trust the best dirt-rod, and my rods are not the best. (If you are adding dirt-rods, read your Code, and get it Inspected. Generally house dirt-rods end-up "one point", but the location of that point varies in odd ways.)
  • SUPPORTER

GibsonGM

+1,000

Good points re. the ENTIRE loop, too, as in your cable shields.....ya, much more "loop" there than in a box!   We often think of our audio as "so sensitive", when in fact it's not - as PRR just pointed out, you get up into high frequency stuff, you REALLY see what 'sensitive'  is!   When a piece of wire is suddenly an inductor, etc.  Good practice is a great thing to get into, as long as we keep it in perspective.    Just my 2 cents, anyway.

I understand the thoughts about a high-gain circuit like a fuzz having some sort of trouble with 'a lot of ground' looping around, but...when it's on, you don't think it'll be QUIET, do you?  ;)    Ever? (ha ha)   The only real way to know something like that is to just try it!    If you get some real nastiness, perhaps you could improve things by better grounding....or do a lot of work for nothing....remember, it's all about the currents on the ground line...   
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...