Twin Lead Wire

Started by bloxstompboxes, February 19, 2015, 08:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloxstompboxes

Whenever I think of twin lead wire I always think of the old fashioned 300ohm, I think it was, antenna wire. But I don't know what else to call it. Anyway, since I have been building my first lot of pedals for my first pedal board, I have been looking for some wire to replace what I used on my power supply since some of them are too short and there are not enough wires for all the pedals. I originally used 18awg speaker wire which I know was overkill and it was a pain in the ass to solder to the plugs. It was all I had at the time. So I keep meaning to post here if anyone knows of a source for the wire I have been wanting to use. You know what I am talking about... wall wart wire. 24 awg twin lead/two lead wire. Well, last night I was at the in-laws and happened to mention that I had sold a couple more pedals. My father-in-law disappears for a minute and comes back with this:

It's what appears to be a 100ft roll of 24awg twin lead wire! I didn't even mention to him that I needed some. Turns out, he just got a new garage door opener and the installers reused the wire that was already there and gave him what came with the new one. Ain't in-laws great?!! I know they annoy us sometimes but mine have been way better than most I here about. Anyway, I may never use it all as it is. I might separate it or use it for the positive and ground wire for some pedals. Still, I would like to know if anyone knows of a source to get stuff like this as I haven't seen it on the usual sites we buy from.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

duck_arse

down here we would call similar (depending on size) "twin flex", "figure 8", "speaker cable", or "mains flex". or "bell wire" if it's really thin.
don't make me draw another line.

bloxstompboxes

Thanks Dave. They have some good deals on hookup wire too. Duck, I seem to remember hearing the term bell wire before. Thanks to both of you.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

canman

Funny enough, I just used some of this stuff too, left over from a garage door opener install!  (I didn't use it for pedals, actually used it to build an auto top off for my reef tank...but still, cool coincidence  :icon_mrgreen:)

GibsonGM

Bell wire, and the thinner stuff is often just called "phone wire", as it's in phone cords...all over the place.  I use pcs. of that with my breadboard, and will wire up stuff with it once in a while.  Good stuff to have around! 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

PRR

> twin lead --- 300 ohm

Dating yourself there.

> what else to call it

As Dave and Duck say: 'zip-cord' in the US, 'flex' in the UK (and affiliated areas); though 'flex' covers many types. (I'm reading old-old Wireless Worlds and 'flex' is usually silk-wrap.)

'Bell wire' is very often two separate wires twisted together. Fine for many uses but not good for plugs where the action will untwist the pair. There is also bell-wire which is inside a plastic sheath, like thermostat wire which has more (5 or 9) conductors. The problem with these "fixed in-the-wall install" cables is they are often solid conductors and won't take constant abuse; you supposed-to run the wire once, maybe fix it once or thrice, and then abandon it cuz the new furnace or bell needs different wires.

The garage-door wire is a good find and an excellent score. Must be a good opener-- solid conductor would work and be a penny cheaper.

#24 zip is commonly sold for speakers. It isn't real good for that (38 feet round-trip {19' cable} makes One Ohm which is a LOT of loss for a 4-8 Ohm speaker), and somewhat fragile, but fine for many uses.

Conversely, #14 THHN house-wire and PEX tubing is good for doing-up a tractor.
  • SUPPORTER

bloxstompboxes

Quote from: PRR on February 20, 2015, 05:47:34 PM
> twin lead --- 300 ohm

Dating yourself there.

Hey! I'm only 37... almost 38. Lol. Yeah, we had to use what we called splitters back in the day when we rented a VCP to watch movies. They would change a twin lead 300ohm wire to 75ohm coax. Now that I think about it. they weren't really splitters at all.

bloxstompboxes

Shit. It is solid core wire. I didn't strip any of it until yesterday and was relying on my eyes to see what it was. Now that I have stripped some of it and have found it's not what I thought, I went ahead and ordered some of that zip cord. 25ft should be more than enough. I also ordered a few 100ft spools of their hookup wire. I probably should have went for the smaller rolls to start out, but they are only like $5.25 a roll so I figured why not.