DBA Sunshine Reverberation

Started by disorder, February 24, 2015, 12:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

disorder

Hey guys, any idea how to get these sounds with a Belton brick design or just some PT2399s? I'm after the bouncy spring reverb sounds that go into oscillation, the trashy stuff. I know I can get pseudo-reverb with two PT2399s and getting it to oscillate shouldn't be hard with the right amount of feedback just as you can do with a delay. However, is it possible to push a Belton brick into feedback like this?

knutolai

Im also interested in this. Its the same with their "Reverberation Machine" and yes their both definately Belton based reverbs, the one in your post being the first incarnation (guts of the "reverberation machine" show a belton module).

According to their page revarding the reverberation machine:
QuoteThe controls on this pedal are straightforward. Volume, Altitude, Reverb Blend and two distinct reverb flavors: Bright Sunshine and Dark Star. Altitude adjusts the gain structure of the reverb and the clean simultaneously creating exciting new reverberation soundscapes that span from subtle to wild.

Its probably some simple trick like driving the reverb with a fuzz or driving the reverb into a fuzz.

disorder

Do you have the gutshots of the reverberation machine? I'd like to see it, can maybe deduce more about this circuit from that.

knutolai

http://www.deathbyaudio.net/
its the circuit on the guys head (background picture) you can clearly see the pots/switch layout matches the Reverberation machine (not the model in your video, check their product catalog), that big black thing is the belton brick module.

Quotecan maybe deduce more about this circuit from that.
doubt it from that picture :P

disorder

I was watching another demo on youtube of the newer "machine" and it's quite hard to figure out the controls. It seems the "altitude" knob increases both overall volume, amount of reverb, and eventually amount of fuzz as you increase travel. Perhaps the altitude knob is just setting the gain of a "fuzz" stage before the reverb.

The "reverb" control doesn't seem like the usual wet/dry mix either. As it's increased it leads to longer decay as well more wet signal. This control also seems to bring in some fuzz towards the end of its travel.

Looks like I might just have to buy the thing and see for myself.  :icon_razz:

knutolai

Well if you do be sure to make a thread over at the other forum. I wanna see how this thing works! DBA stuff is experimental and exciting, but they are not exactly knows for their electronic engineering skills (take a look over at the other forum). As I said Im betting on some pretty simple circuitry including a Belton brick.

From the videos I´ve seen the "altitude" ctrl distorts both the dry and reverb signal. The way this interacts with the reverb makes me think the distortion is placed after the reverb, as you get the sense of a "distorted" ambience.

QuoteThe "reverb" control doesn't seem like the usual wet/dry mix either. As it's increased it leads to longer decay as well more wet signal. This control also seems to bring in some fuzz towards the end of its travel.

I think its a effect level control. Dry level always at 100%, reverb from 0 to 100%, or "125%" as the display says. This boosting might explain the distortion at the end off the pot travel. As for it having longer decay Im not sure if I agree. It might just be that the reverb tail gets more noticeable as the effect gets louder.

gutsofgold

Logged into my old username wooops... this is disorder.
Interesting, I'm more than likely just over complicating it. I was going off this video by the way...

knutolai

Me too among others :P Can never totally rule out psychoacoustics and individual hearing... Ill fund part of your purchase if you let me in on the secrets inside the box :P (is this a fitting conversation for this forum or should this be mover over to "boutique stompboxes dissected" at the other forum?)

disorder

Hey knutolai, just sent you a PM.