Alembic Stratoblaster, enclosure, no sound

Started by seagurt, February 24, 2015, 05:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seagurt

I just finished building an Alembic Stratoblaster, added a 9v jack, LED and footswitch.

Upon testing the pedal, I get continuity between track D and track E, on the side where the wires connect to the board.

I get a bypass signal, but no sound when the effect is engaged. LED lights up.

I have scraped with a small file, and exacto between the tracks, there is clearly a dip between tracks (where I removed material), yet still I am getting continuity... The other side has nothing that would suggest any type of link. am I missing something?

This is the wiring I used for the switch/LED/dc Jack

The only other things I changed, were, I am using 8 tracks (my input/ground/9v/out) all are on track 8 (looking at the alembic board layout, one additional track) and I could not find where to connect the ground from Track a7 (My other one is connected to my switch) Should this ground be connected to the sleeve of my output jack?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers gents!

Those who know the least will always know it the loudest.

Long's Law

PRR

> I get continuity

"Continuity" function is for checking trailer-wiring.

Electronics dudes will look for actual Ohms. Less than 1? 10 Ohms? The continuity function does not care, we might.

HOWEVER. If you are wired and used a Switched Jack for Input, then when you have NO plug in the jack you SHOULD have zero Ohms here. Stick in a short guitar cord or plug. I'm not sure of the circuit (and don't see a grid resistor), but that should give you over 67K Ohms from In to Ground.
  • SUPPORTER

seagurt

Quote from: PRR on February 24, 2015, 09:31:35 PM
> I get continuity

"Continuity" function is for checking trailer-wiring.

Electronics dudes will look for actual Ohms. Less than 1? 10 Ohms? The continuity function does not care, we might.

HOWEVER. If you are wired and used a Switched Jack for Input, then when you have NO plug in the jack you SHOULD have zero Ohms here. Stick in a short guitar cord or plug. I'm not sure of the circuit (and don't see a grid resistor), but that should give you over 67K Ohms from In to Ground.

Thank you very much for the response, however, I am still confused...

I am not using a switched input, but rather a stereo unswitched input (TRS).

When checking the resistance from the input jack, with the effect engaged, I get a 1 on the meter, and nothing else, even when changing the Ohms, ( I started with the 200k because of the 67k I am looking for, but I went through all of the levels, from 200ohm to 20M ohm and got 1 on all settings.) so perhaps I am misunderstanding something here? I am checking the tip and sleeve on the cable from where the guitar would be plugged.

I am rather new to all of this, and do appreciate the information from someone more experienced. I'm an audio engineer by trade, and this is all new to me (building pedals).

If there is anything else I can do to debug this, I am all ears!

Those who know the least will always know it the loudest.

Long's Law

PRR

There's a short. Find it. If not visible, disconnect things until you narrow-down where the short must be.
  • SUPPORTER

krister

Did the circuit work before you put it in the box? Sometimes parts touch the metal in the box and short out the circuit. If you didn't test the circuit outside of the box/enclosure. I would do that now.
Gear Reviews and Guitar Related Information > http://krispicks.com