DI->Stompbox for chassis

Started by aron, February 27, 2015, 04:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aron

It occurred to me that we can take a cheap DI box and get a chassis+jacks for less than $10. The input and output are already drilled AND you can get XLR out too!
Anyone try this? I think I will.
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pro-PDC21-Instrument-Balanced-Unbalanced/dp/B0027V760M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425072509&sr=8-1&keywords=DI+box

JerS

interesting. I would be really curious to see what transformer is in that thing. It is an unbelievable price really.

aron

You could easily build a booster in this thing. Probably a fuzz face type pedal - point to point wired. It could be cool.

Eddododo

I have made a myriad of pedals out of salvaged DIs .. I use the xlr abscess to facilitate the LED..  I had these perfect weird translucent plastic caps that filled the hole and  poke out to glow by the led, but i eventually cracked them all :p

ashcat_lt

I have a couple of the dual versions of that thing.  They are perfectly functional as is.  I hacked one of them to remove the transformer and use it as a straight wire pseudo-balancing box/ 1/4>XLR converter which works pretty darn well also. 

I used a DI box for a sort of effect loop/"push-to-talk" switch/pedal power supply for a rather specific application at one point.  I needed four 1/4" jacks, so had to pop two holes for that plus five or six for DC jacks and the one for the switch.  Since it was meant to interface a microphone with guitar pedals, I was going to replace the XLR M with an F and run through the transformer for a voltage step-up, but never got around to that, and ended up kind of abandoning that project.

tubegeek

That's absolutely insane pricing. Wow.
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

aron

It might be a PAIN to drill into these but will see.