Proco rat build has very low output.

Started by Ghost Planet, March 04, 2015, 08:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost Planet

I just finished my rat clone and it has very very low output. All controls are functioning properly. Could the transistor be bad? Unfortunately I don't have another to try. I used the layout from tagboard effects. Thanks.

GibsonGM

Read the "Debugging" thread, and get the info posted that's requested, ok?  ;)   A lot of things could cause the symptoms...

Need some voltages to tell you where to look! 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Ghost Planet

MrStab

Sounds like a resistor value is too high somewhere. This happened to me just the other day - i mixed up a 2M2 and a 1k resistor, so maximum series-resistance-signal-death and awful impedance >:( apparently i'm that special kind of idiot who can build the same circuit twice, proof-check values for half an hour, yet still make such mistakes. lol

check resistor values! just a hunch.
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

antonis

Quote from: Ghost Planet on March 04, 2015, 08:09:55 AM
Could the transistor be bad?

No, if the output works in a analog way (CCW low - loeer- lowest) because it acts like an unity gain amplifier...

If resistor values are OK, try to change the clipping diodes with a red LED pair and notice if there is some sound increase..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..