Why did I order a CA3130?

Started by karbomusic, March 05, 2015, 12:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karbomusic

Feel free to make fun of me if you want. :) I ordered a couple back in July and now I don't know why. Is there a popular build that calls for it or did I order in some frenzy of I must have one of everything? I'm assuming the former hence the post (though I am guilty of both). I did a quick search but ran out of reasons to keep clicking in favor of the collaboration and fellowship of starting my own thread.  :icon_biggrin:

ubersam

Maybe you were thinking of building a Honey Bee?

armdnrdy

Because it matches your dress shoes.  ???

Keep notes and BOMs of projects.

The palest ink is better than the best memory!  :icon_wink:
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Mark Hammer

Probably going to be something you saw over at Madbean...that may not even still be listed there now.  :icon_rolleyes:  (I think there is an Xotic pedal or two, or maybe its's something found on the Revolution Deux or the tagboardeffects pages)

Wouldn't be the first time it's happened to anyone.  Any idea how many home-etched PCBs or toner-printed PCB layouts I have that I have absolutely no freaking idea what it is?

The worst is when you stumble onto a hunk of perfboard with a bunch of components installed, and you have no clue whatsoever what it is.  Is this something I lost interest in because I finally heard one?  Is this something I really really wanted to make, but then something even easier, with a tested layout and fewer parts, came along and I got distracted?  Is this something of my own design, or somebody else's design?

If I find myself in that position, there is usually an evening ahead of me where I desolder everything, and reclaim the perfboard and as many parts as I can.  I just hate staring at unfinished projects.

karbomusic

Thanks for all the replies. I don't think any of the above ring a bell. Looking at my order email, I ordered multiple single channel opamps that day so it sounds like I read some thread here discussing them and I was simply stocking up for any future project.

Some history... I picked this much more healthy habit up right after I quit smoking. So.... That meant I had a considerable amount of money I no longer needed to spend, thusly I decided to reward myself and would order a similar amount in electronics stuff each week with my previous smokes expense. :) I'm somewhat impulse based and the entire idea was to stock up so that when I saw or thought of some cool build or schematic I could build it then and there. Looks like this might be part of that stocking and not something I had planned for a known future build. I think I should now go through my bins and see what other neat stuff I forgot about, might be Christmas all over again!

Now to invent something to use it in!

pupil

Maybe you're into synth stuff. In conjunction with a LM311 you can make a pretty nice synth VCO with it. The CA3130 as a high speed integrator and the LM311 as a high impedance comparator. The book Musical Applications of Microprocessors by Hal Chamberlin uses them.

scratch

you think that's bad ... I've ordered over two dozen exotic 74F series logic chips that I have no clue what they are for  ???
Denis,
Nothing witty yet ...

Kipper4

Theres an auto wah by penfold that has this chip i believe.
I bought one also just havent built it yet.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Kipper4 on March 05, 2015, 06:27:21 PM
Theres an auto wah by penfold that has this chip i believe.
I bought one also just havent built it yet.

:icon_lol: Funny.  Just finished dinner and fired up the machine.  Saw there was more replies in this thread, and when I saw the header, for some reason my first thought was "Oh yeah, there was that Penfold autowah thing that RG sent me way back when!"

Kipper4

Haha
Have you finished your infamous flanger yet Mark?
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Cozybuilder

Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

EBRAddict

Bearfoot Sparkling Yellow Overdrive 2? There's a PCB layout floating around called the Dune Messiah.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Kipper4 on March 05, 2015, 08:05:01 PM
Haha
Have you finished your infamous flanger yet Mark?

:icon_frown: :icon_frown: :icon_redface: :icon_rolleyes:

The last 6 months have been very unproductive.  Winter has been harsh and unyielding.  The office/workship area is demotivatingly cold.  -16C right now, and tonight's a "good" night.

C'mon spring!  I've got work to do.

duck_arse

maybe you meant to order CA3140 instead. a pH meter? penfold's light metal uses, as does a slot car controller from ETI, sometime in the early eighties.

and if you do want to build controller, I've got a couple of CA3140's here you can have, still unused.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.