first waterslide decal decorations

Started by il_mix, March 06, 2015, 06:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

il_mix

Hi, everyone!

I've finally made my first two pedals using waterslide decals for decoration.
Here is the result.

On the left a MXR MicroAmp clone. On the right a MXR BlueBox clone.

I've already used decals for other things (WH40k), but I tipically worked with very small ones, using a brush to move the decal around. With big images, this simply can't be done (how much I've screamed in pain...). The solution I've found is to immerse the case in the water with the decal paper. When the thin layer detach from the paper, remove the paper from the tank, move -carefully- the floating painted layer above the case and -carefully- take out the case. If the decal is a little misaligned, it can still be -carefully- moved while everything is still wet.

Does anyone use a smarter procedure?

noobamp

Those are super clean! I love the pro look you accomplished.
nothing like the smell of hot Bovie in the morning....

il_mix

Thanks!
About the "clean" adjective.
I've used a matt finish. I like it more than the typical glossy finish, but I have to say that it is easier for a matt surface to get dirty. Since it is a stompbox and it will always be at ground level, freqently stomped on, I'm afraid that it will get dirty really fast...
Any experience or hints about matt/glossy finish?

KNA

I use matt clearcoat since I think it looks better, but it also tends to "hide" the dirt a bit better. Don't know how to explain better but the matt finish doesn't seem to highlight dirt and hair and what not as much as the glossy finish does.

Great looking builds by the way!   
Trophies, swedish hardcore at its best: http://trophies.bandcamp.com/