The Bare Box #2 - Evolution of Another Creature

Started by smallbearelec, March 10, 2015, 10:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armdnrdy

Strike two!

Maybe you should go back and read my post....Here...I'll help you.

Reply #2
"Sloped enclosures of varying sizes, similar to the old EHX boxes"
"Larger/jumbo sizes would be welcome as well"
"I have a long list of big box builds that could use larger sloped enclosures. Mutron Bi-Phase, Quadra Phaser, ADA STD-1, etc."

The enclosures you linked are not similar to the old EXH boxes. They have the flat area at the back of the box that I have no use for. This flat area will impede the mounting of controls.
I have known of this style enclosure since the 70s. LMB Heeger style.

I am looking for exactly what I stated...."larger sloped enclosures, similar to the old EHX boxes.

I'll explain in detail so you understand.

For someone who specializes in making fuzz boxes, a Big Muff sized box is a large enclosure.
I don't really care for making fifty variations of the same circuit...fuzz boxes bore me!
If you are at all familiar with the effects that I listed, (Mutron Bi-Phase, Quadra Phaser, ADA STD-1) they are all large circuits with the STD-1 being a full size rack unit.

The folded enclosures that you posted can't really be considered "larger"...or "jumbo." They are way too small. 

Now let's get a bit personal.

I appreciate the help...really....but....I do not appreciate the attitude and condescending tone of your replies.
I don't think that anyone on this site needs to be talked down to. This is not that type of forum.

If this is the only way you know how to help people...maybe you should take a breath...and left click back to another topic.

There is no need to reply to this...in fact....your reply would not be welcome. Let's end your "help" here.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Arcane Analog

Quote from: armdnrdy on March 11, 2015, 08:32:10 AM
Hey Steve,

I salute your diligence in coming up with new enclosure design ideas.

I feel the DIY pedal building community could use/is missing:

Sloped enclosures of varying sizes, similar to the old EHX boxes.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=69070.0;prev_next=prev

These are not available...I have searched extensively.

Larger/jumbo sizes would be welcome as well.

I quoted you directly and gave you options for exactly what you asked for - multiple sizes of old EHX boxes for the DIY community. Three to be exact. You did not actually specify dimensions or circuits for these sloped EHX boxes the DIY community is (not really) lacking.

You then added larger jumbo boxes as an "as well" in the next paragraph as an addition to the sloped EHX boxes.

If you cannot make those 9.6" boxes work you need to go back to the drawing board and learn how to make a layout.

Good luck.

Sorry for the derail, Steve.

smallbearelec

It upsets me a bit when good people here get each other's noses out of joint. To all who responded: Thanks! You have given me good direction for what to ask for:

• 2mm aluminum
  • Two-piece construction with "well"
  • No standoffs
  • No drilling or cutout

I have asked for a quote and will get this done if, as I expect, the cost is anything like reasonable. I will advise when I have an estimated delivery date. If this basic style/size sells well, I'll consider getting tricked-out and drilled boxes made for stock. Now that I think about it, the 500-piece MOQ allows me to get a custom run made for any shop that wants a particular configuration and can fund an order. Let's see what the basic price comes out to.

Regards
SD

Kipper4

Great stuff Steve.
Can't wait to see the results
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

smallbearelec

So I got this made completely undrilled and with collars in the screw holes so that the threads won't strip out.

I figured that some people would want to put the stomper where I had the pots, so I drilled a hole and tested. A standard blue 3PDT is too tall, but an Alpha DPDT will fit and you put an LED driver circuit on the board. A momentary soft-touch with relay or FET switching would also fly. There's a lot of room for complex builds.

I will have pieces to sell in eight weeks or so, retail for small quantities $11.95.

smallbearelec

In stock now. After figuring freight, duty and NYC taxes, I have to ask $12.95 in small quantities. Thanks to all who offered suggestions for the design.

Regards
SD

digi2t

Quote from: Arcane Analog on March 15, 2015, 09:21:57 AM
Quote from: armdnrdy on March 12, 2015, 11:20:20 PM
Mac Walker just PM'd me about his enclosures.

I contacted him some time ago to see if he could make any larger folded enclosures. I need a few 8" X 6" for some of the projects I have worked out.

I'm currently working on a Final Phase build and Macs largest "double wide" enclosure might work for that.

Mac's double wide is 5.5". The Big Muff enclosure I posted is also 5.5" and is longer.

I typed "sloped enclosure" into eBay's search feature. These have been available for several years. Hammond and several other manufacturers all make something similar with or without vents. If you cannot fit your circuits in these boxes at 6", 8" and 9.6" you are doing it wrong.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SE853N-8-Aluminum-Pedal-Enclosure-Sloped-Instrument-Console-Case-/261536102303?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce4c4379f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SF662-FULL-Aluminum-Pedal-Sloped-Instrument-Console-Enclosure-Case-Box-for-DIY-/261717650307?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cef966b83

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SF1083-FULL-Aluminum-Pedal-Enclosure-Sloped-Instrument-Console-case-for-DIY-/261284491912?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd5c4f288

I used one of Chinese aluminium sloped jobs (SF662) for my Klipper project. While the final product was esthetically pleasing, the metal's gauge, and the fact that the top piece's only stiffness or support comes from the fact that it's bent, doesn't really make it robust enough for any intense stompbox usage. It's perfectly fine for use in my studio, or for table top projects, but that's about it. If the top overlapped the sides, that would help a bit. Screws securing the two a la BMP is better. Screws and stainless steel = best.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

GibsonGM

Quote from: smallbearelec on July 06, 2015, 11:37:33 PM
In stock now. After figuring freight, duty and NYC taxes, I have to ask $12.95 in small quantities. Thanks to all who offered suggestions for the design.

Regards
SD

That's awesome, and I hope to grab a couple for myself!  Where are you gonna find a box of that quality with that much thought put into it for that PRICE??   Nowhere - I want some!    :)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Mark Hammer

Steve very generously sent me a BB2 (Thanks!  :icon_biggrin:)

While the photo here gives a good idea of the box on its own, I thought I'd take a few snaps of the BB2 in comparison with a better-known quantity - a 1590BB - so that folks might find it easier to think about the particular advantages that it might (or may not) provide them.

The first photo sort of distorts the size, but I'll vouch that the BB2 has a slightly larger footprint than a 1590BB.  Despite what the photo suggests, it is exactly the same width.

Lined up, you can see that it sticks out a bit farther "in front".  And as Steve's earlier picture illustrates, it is tall enough on the front lip to accommodate virtually any stomp switch.  I'll supplement that by noting that two side-by-side stomps are easily accommodated.  The second switch could be for another effect, an added boost, a tap tempo, a loop selector, modulation on/off, ramp up/down, speed A/B, etc.

The side views indicate that the extra height will allow it to accommodate a lot of things.  If you absolutely need to power it with a pair of 9vs, it has plenty of room for that.  If you need to stack two boards with spacers, it can do that (which the BB1 can also do, I might add).  If the project requires use of space-hogging rotary switches, you've also got room for them and a full-sized board underneath as well.  And, of course, if you feel compelled to make something with one or more tubes, the fact that it is aluminum, and the rear part taller (but not too tall) means you have room to mount the tubes either sideways, or vertically with not too much poking out.  And the use of aluminum means that machining to accommodate tubes will not be arduous.

Finally, while it doesn't have the same built-like-a-tank feel of the folded steel boxes that Full-tone and Truetone are using, the gauge of aluminum feels very sturdy, and you're not carting around the weight that comes with steel.

Disadvantages?  Well, you can always turn a 1590BB 90 degrees and have the long side facing you, while the front, sides and rear of the BB2 are essentially identified for you.  On the other hand,  A person could rotate it 180 degrees and build a sweet little mixer with 9mm pots, and using the area we'd normally put our stompswitches in for in/out jacks.  So I'll say the sides are committed but the front and back less so.  Of course, one of the reasons a person would usually rotate a 1590BB to have the long side facing you is to accommodate space for another stompswitch, and space for additional controls.  As it turns out, the additional switch area on the BB2 allows you to do that without needing to rotate it.  So the rotatability turns into an aesthetic choice rather than a design limitation.

I look forward to building something into it.

smallbearelec

I just finished up at Summer NAMM in Nashville. I have shown this version to some boutiquers, and a few said "Yea, I can use this." So maybe this is the next "I gotta have one" enclosure. If it takes hold, I'll be very pleased; if it becomes another niche item, too bad, but it won't have broken the bank.

bloxstompboxes

Hey Steve, you should having said something before. I live an hour away from Nashville. In fact I was just there this last Tuesday.  Arrived there from our trip to adopt our son. Not sure when NAMM was; we might have been gone then. We were gone the 16 days prior to Tuesday.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

smallbearelec

Apologies. Usually, I do post notice when I will be in a place so that I can visit with local DIYers. In this case, I needed to do a quick in-and-out in order to see a small number of commercial customers--the people whose large orders make it possible to support the DIY community. I might not have gone at all had the boat with the Bare Box #2 been delayed; having that to show really made the trip worthwhile. I will remember to come earlier next year.

JerS

I was one of the exhibitors at SNAMM (www.tributeaudiodesigns.com) and was very honoured to meet Steve in person. Steve showed a few of us the new enclosure, and I must say - it looks and more importantly feels really nice. It is nice to have another option to hammond boxes, etc for special customs.

I hope you don't mind me posting this Steve - it made my day (photobomb courtesy of Cameltone Electronics https://www.facebook.com/cameltoneelectronics):

bloxstompboxes

Quote from: smallbearelec on July 12, 2015, 11:58:05 AM
Apologies. Usually, I do post notice when I will be in a place so that I can visit with local DIYers. In this case, I needed to do a quick in-and-out in order to see a small number of commercial customers--the people whose large orders make it possible to support the DIY community. I might not have gone at all had the boat with the Bare Box #2 been delayed; having that to show really made the trip worthwhile. I will remember to come earlier next year.
Ahh, it's cool. I have been extremely busy latelty as you might expect. Wouldn't have been much of a host probably. Maybe next time![emoji6]

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

Mark Hammer

The trick is to have a dog.  Steve can NOT resist a dog.  It could be any of these below, and as much as you kept looking at your watch and pointing to it, Steve would still be squatted down, talking to it and petting it like it was the most precious thing in the world.  Just one more thing you gotta love about the guy!

Tony Forestiere

Those are really dogs? Sweet Mother of God! I thought some unknown species of demons had been discovered. The brindel in the last pic looked like Cerberus guarding the gates of Hades.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

Mark Hammer

I think each of them won the title of "world's ugliest dog" at one point or other.

armdnrdy

I think that last one is a breed of wooly frog.
A frog dog!
Speaking of "evolution of another creature!"   :icon_lol:
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

bluebunny

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 13, 2015, 09:09:00 PM
I think each of them won the title of "world's ugliest dog" at one point or other.

"World's ugliest anything", I think...   :P
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

aballen

Not exactly what you are looking for as far as feedback, but have you looked at picking up the designs from pedalenclosures.com?  Those were some great boxes.  The YY and the "one" we're not folded metal, but they were great enclosures.  I'm sure those would sell if you could make them.
So many builds, I just can't list them anymore.