Envelope controlled delay to emulate tape

Started by disorder, March 11, 2015, 04:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moid

The chorus type section sounded lovely, reminded me of some old Cocteau Twins sounds. Not sure if it helps you at all, but the Mid Fi electronics Clarinot has a similar warped sound, although it only has a single repeat and I think your circuit sounds more interesting.
Mushrooms in Shampoo -  Amidst the Ox Eyes - our new album!

https://mushroomsinshampoo.bandcamp.com/album/amidst-the-ox-eyes

balkanizeyou

big thanks to everyone who liked the sound of it!
I'm still chillin' by the seaside, but in the meantime I had some time to put together a schematic of what I THINK the circuit looked like - remember, I don't have the breadboard in front of me so this schematic is how I remember things, not how they exactly were like. I had to make up a few values that I didn't remember lol. There's a chance the schematic doesn't make any sense at all, so it would be great if someone smart could spot any obvious mistakes.

Anyway, here's the idea of the whole thing - nothing fancy, a pretty typical PT2399 circuit with a pretty typical envelope detector/led driver circuit.

The values in the envelope section are kinda arbitrary, so please put it on the breadboard and choose the values that you like the best - for longer attack/release times you can increase C24, if the modulation is too deep you can increase R28 etc etc.
As for the diodes - use whatever you feel like and find the ones you like the best. I decided to use 1n4148 and a 1n5817 in series, because the 1n4148 forward voltage alone wasn't high enough, while the FV of a red led was too high for me.
I didn't have too much time to work on this one yet, so there's tons of room for improvement here, so please put it on the breadboard and experiment!

Use whatever vactrol you have at hand or make yourself one. I think I used a VTL5C1 but not sure now.

and sorry for the picture size, if you right click on the picture and select "open in new tab" it should download to your computer and you can view it normally.

turdadactyl

Are others seeing the schematic pic?  It's not showing for me.

balkanizeyou

I'm sorry, I messed something up. It should be working now.

EDIT: fixed the schematic a bit. It probably didn't work in the previous version.