7555 - 555 timers. HMMMMMM......

Started by brokenstarguitar, March 11, 2015, 09:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokenstarguitar

Got a question for you. I'm building an Uglyface for a friend of mine and just realized I dont have any 7555 timers left. Now on this ( http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt137/pinkjimiphoton/uglyface_lfo_blanik.jpg ) layout it says 555 timer or 7555. How can you tell what 555 timers are Cmos or not and whats the difference between the 7555s and the 555s, besides the fact that the 7555s are newer versions of the 555s?

GibsonGM

You have to look up the part number (Google..).  LMC555, TLC555, ICM7555, ICL7555).  I searched "CMOS 555 timer", got those results, and there are a few more. 

The 7555's are CMOS, can go rail to rail, lower power consumption...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Brisance

For most applications however you can switch them around with no difference.

bool

duck_arse

the 555 output stage produces huge spikes when it switches, which also appear in the supply where they are not wanted ie the audio stages. tikk tikk tikk etc. the 7555 has a different output stage, and also draws less current to tikk with. you might get away with using the 555 tik-free if you did everything right with power and ground wirings, and signal lead dress.
don't make me draw another line.

bool

duck_arse

I'll leave it to the viewer to imagine where those stars are originating.
don't make me draw another line.

greaser_au

Quote from: duck_arse on March 13, 2015, 09:27:08 AM
I'll leave it to the viewer to imagine where those stars are originating.

If they are anything like my stars they will source from the curry & coopers... ;)

david