An idea for etching circuit boards and enclosures.

Started by NakedApe, March 13, 2015, 03:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NakedApe

I've always struggled with ironing toner onto my circuit boards to etch them, it just seems that no matter how hard I try there is always going to be a bit of smudging, harming ther resolution.  Now that I want to try etching an enclosure, It would be nice to have a way of doing it without ironing toner on. 

I know there are boards for sale that are coated with a photosensitive layer that can be developed after being exposed through an acetate positive.  I also know that t-shirt silk screening uses a kind of photosensitive emulsion to prepare their screens, and they can get a great amount of detail with this method. 

My idea is to try coating the board or enclosure with the emulsion, then exposing a design directly on the board or enclosure.  The result would be a positive stencil that will hopefully be resistant to the ferric chloride, since it seems to be some kind of plastic.

I'm going searching for a place to buy the emulsion, and hopefully I will report back with some tests as soon as I can. 
In yhe meantime, has anyone tried this? If so, is there a good reason why not to do it?

Happy etching.
What are you, some kind of wizard?

duck_arse

years ago, this process used to be called "Riston". a full range of chemicals, pre-coated boards and acetate sheets were available, and you could expose to the sun or a uv tube/bulb. keep searching.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Beo

I think getting the enclosure truly sanded flat is the main challenge. Ironing works much better and consistent then. It takes a lot of elbow grease and can eat up sandpaper to get a box truly flat. Has anyone priced local metalshops to see how much it would cost to have them sand/grind flat tops onto enclosures? I'm thinking if you went in with a batch of 10 or 20 enclosures, it might not be too expensive.

~arph

Erm, you have electrical sanders.. I use one all the time for enclosure sanding, not much elbow grease needed  :icon_razz:

NakedApe

I can usually get a mirror finish on the metal before I iron, and even then it gives me problems... in any case, I just picked up some photo emulsion from a local silk screening shop and I´m going to star experimenting tonight with some pcbs and a piece of aluminum I have lying around. Ill post some results when i have some

Tony Forestiere

I had not heard of this method, so I did a bit of research.

Are you planning on using a modification of this method? Looks feasible for our purposes. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

*edit* darned "s"  >:( I do miss the preview option.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

NakedApe

Quote from: Tony Forestiere on March 13, 2015, 07:11:14 PM
I had not heard of this method, so I did a bit of research.

Are you planning on using a modification of this method? Looks feasible for our purposes. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

*edit* darned "s"  >:( I do miss the preview option.

Yes, except I have coated the emulsion directly onto a piece of copper clad board and a couple of pieces of aluminum, I´m going to try burning the designs into them as soon as they are dry!

NakedApe

So far, my results show that this is not going to work. As soon as I put the developed piece into the etchant it just dissolved away.   Oh well, i guess I´ll have to make some shirts or something.

Tony Forestiere

Bummer. :( I thought there was potential to that idea. Thanks for the update and taking the leap.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me