boss ds2 mods, anyone?

Started by xxan1malxx, March 13, 2015, 07:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xxan1malxx

Hi guys!, any mods to take off the nasal mids in turbo 2 mode for a boss ds2 ???

ashcat_lt

No, but if you hum a few bars (or provide a schematic) I could probably fake it!   :icon_wink:

Renegadrian

I'll post some of the mods I read here and there, sorry I cannot give due credit to them...

-----------------------------------------------

Try changing C34 to 10n - 1µ
Try changing D8 and D9 to LEDs

R32 1M with a 220K to 560K to get rid of the mid scoop
R21 and R37 from 100K to 220K to 330K
C10,C23,and C24 from 1µ to 10µ tantalum
R57 3.3K
R62 1K to 2.2K
C25 C34 10n
C31 470-560p
C37 3.9n
C41 2.2n
D8 1n4002
D9 2x 1n4002 in series
D11 ,D12,and D14 3mm led
D15 1n4002

The function of D14-15 is pretty unclear to me, they don't add clipping nor affect the volume or tone, so I just keep them in.
D11-12 have the biggest effect on the distortion, you really hear the difference when you use a LED or silicon/germanium diode here.
D8-9 have the least effect, I mean, you do hear the difference, but it doesn't really change the overall tone, the effect blends in with D11-12.

I took some time to take appart the tonesection, and found out that it does a lot more than only cutting or boosting trebble.
R45: (4.7K) The lower you go, the more bass it cuts in total. You can't go further than bypassing it.
R46: (33K) The higher you go, the more thump you get when the gain is at 2'o clock. So if you like medium gain, make this 100K or something in that area.
R58: (15K) The higher you go, the more upper bass you get, but you lose a fair bit of volume this way. Leaving it standard prooved to sound the best.
R59: (1K) This is the b*tch. The higher you go, the less blistering the trebble gets. I needed to take this part out to satisfy my needs.
You can also put a cap parallel to R46 to be able to cut more, something like 3.3nF has a pretty good result.

I'm gonna try raising C34.
R32 is responsible for the midscoop in this pedal. I'm gonna try something lower than 1M to make it sound less scooped. It will probably result in a little more ouput too.
R62 can suposedly be lowered to have more volume, I need to check this.
R57 can suposedly be altered to change the compressed feeling, but it will also affect the bass, I need to check this too.

doubling C33 will increase the gain and bass

C33 1µ

Remove Q7 and R15 and short with a wire the collector and emitter electrodes of Q7 were originally.
Collector should be the one that connects to D2, emitter is the one that connects to C16.
This will give more headroom to both channels.
I TRIED THIS ONE DIDN'T FIND IT SO USEFUL.

To increase the saturation then you could increase the value of R65 (around Q22) from 2.2k to 8.2k or even 10k.

I haven't tried this mod but it is just something I think it should sound good.

mhammer

Except that 10 of the transistors are for electronic switching, one is for the power supply, and another for the output buffer. The actual effect is produced by Q22-23, Q16-19, with Q12-13 and Q5 handling the EQ and output duties. Q16-19 form a discrete op-amp, not unlike what you'll find in the Blues Driver.

The nasal sound of mode 2 likely comes from the filtering built around Q23, which is a 2-pole lowpass filter, nearly identical to what you'll see leading up to and coming from the delay chip in virtually all Boss BBD-based pedals (flanger, chorus, delay, vibrato). reducing the values of C43/44 will raise the filter rolloff frequency, but whether that gets yu what you want is another thing.

I am assuming the undesirable aspect is NOT in the post-clip EQ-ing section, or else you'd be complaining about the nasal sound that affects both modes.

"Booster mod":

R57 : 2,2kohm ( gain)
R59 : 3,3Kohm (Treble, medium)
C34 : 10n (Bass)
C32 : 250p
D14, D15 : germanium diodes High quality
C15, C38, C23, C24, C9 : 1µ Panasonic ECQ-V (SMF)
C20, C18 : 47n Panasonic ECQ-V (SMF)
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Renegadrian

There are a couple more, look for MERITIL mod on diyitalia and the DIABLO mod - the PDFs are easy to find.

Also, I got one in front of me, and I am trying to get some new mods experimenting with it...
ATM I just removed c18 c19 c20 c41. None of them seem to give a different timbre, and I find them useless, so I guess I'll leave them off...

Hope to be posting some new mods asap
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Steben

a lot of filtering around, including pre and post dist boost and cut, and some T filters (notch / bandpass).
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them