THE TRIPPLE BA6TARD

Started by mountianjustice, March 14, 2015, 07:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountianjustice

This is just a cascaded gain tube overdrive built with 12ba6 tubes running on an 18vdc power supply. It has a gain knob for each tube. It's really late or really early depending on how you look at it so i can't really give a good description of the sound. But its not too heavy not as heavy as my single 12au7 valvecaster. should be great for blues and early rock. By the way a tripple is a 4 beat gate just thought it kinda fit maybe i should go with 4 tubes instead of three but then it would be a quadracaster i guess  

http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah234/mountianjustice/TRIPPLE%20BA6TARD_zpsad0desox.jpg

amptramp

The nice thing is, you could replace the 12BA6 tubes (which are remote-cutoff) and replace them with 12AU6 tubes (which are sharp-cutoff) to get linear response and a preamp with limited distortion.  12BA6 tubes are used for automatic volume control and could be used as a compressor with a rectifying diode that provides a negative bias voltage for the tubes that depends on output level.  You have some options here.

mountianjustice

Thats a little beyond my knowledge but if you could point me to a schematic and i have the parts i can build it. Im pretty new at this but im eager to learn and like to tinker. ive got a 32vdc 12au6 valve caster i made that is unbelievable i put it in a single rack unit with a big muff pi tone and a knob for cathode bias  I also have an 18vdc 12au7 that is built into a stomp box it has a gain between the stages and a muff pi tone as well  it offers up unlimited distortion and overdrive with my marshal amp.