Double Muff Switches!

Started by chuckfalcon, March 16, 2015, 01:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuckfalcon

Hi everyone!  I have been bitten by the bug.  I love building circuits, even more than that, I love building things that work!!!!  Ok, so I have breadboarded 2 muff circuits, one cascading into another.  The only problem is, I don't have a switch to turn off the 2nd muff.  What kind of slider switch or stomp switch to I need to make this happen, and how would I wire it up?  What if I had 3 muff circuits and wanted to do muffs #1 and #3 or #2 and #3, just #2 or #3 by itself?

I know all this stuff is basic stuff but I guess we all have to start somewhere.  Any help at all, and I would be most grateful.

Thanks!

snarblinge

Start here

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/switches/

Then see how you go. Post a diagram in paint or whatever you have of what you think you want to do

Maybe try diy layout creator, search for it, it's a handy part of the addiction.

Welcome, and good luck
b.

snarblinge.tumblr.com

Mark Hammer

The actual EHX Double MUff uses a SPDT slide switch.  For the two Muffs in the circuit, the wiper of the volume pot on the first one always goes to the input of the second one.  The master output volume pot can either take its input from the output of Muff 1 or the output of Muff 2.

If there were fundamentally different characteristics for each Muff then maybe there'd be some value in packing 3 into the same box.  But quite frankly tere is so much untapped versatility in one of them, that there is really no point in going beyond 2.

I packed a modded Muff Fuzz and Shin-Ei FY-2 into a single box.  The Muff is modded to have variable gain, and also has some treble cutting available.  The original Muff Fuzz has fixed gain, and only a single humble volume control.  BY varying the AC path on the emitter, just like a FUzz Face does, you can get a broad range of distortion intensity.  As this video demonstrates.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npxq2DSAyuk

chuckfalcon

Thanks so much for the help, guys.  Beavis Audio, so far is THEE BEST resource for education on pedal building.  I have been all over that website, some really good stuff.

Also, really nice sounding pedal.  The idea was to make 3 different sounding muffs and then having an on and off switch for each.  I just ordered a bunch of SPDT switches.  I think I may order some of those switches that have the lights built in, so you know which muffs are engaged before you hit the stomp switch.  ideally that is what I would like to have happen.  3 light up on/off switches for each muff  and then the 3PDT stomp switch to turn it on and off.

I just discovered the diode page on beavis and I am looking forward to testing them out with the muff circuit

snarblinge

Most of the illuminated switches require a square (or rectangle) hole, which is fine if you are keen. I'd stick to a toggle and led.

Don't drill anything until you are happy this is what you want.

I began an amp top box years ago, with similar options, fits 3 different circuits plus two boosts. Large toggles and amp style bulbs, should dig it out and photograph it. It's a multi fx thing with an external footswitch. Fun for comparing builds but in practice not entirely useful.

I think you will find the same with your project, just build them in seperate enclosures. Or keep the enclosures flexible enough to become a multi fx beast in the future.

But don't listen to me it's diy:)
b.

snarblinge.tumblr.com

antonis

Quote from: snarblinge on March 17, 2015, 02:49:53 AM
Fun for comparing builds but in practice not entirely useful.

Well said...!!! :icon_wink:

(same conclusion with a 6 Fuzz/Overdrive circuits box..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

chuckfalcon

Quote from: snarblinge on March 17, 2015, 02:49:53 AM
Most of the illuminated switches require a square (or rectangle) hole, which is fine if you are keen. I'd stick to a toggle and led.

Don't drill anything until you are happy this is what you want.

I began an amp top box years ago, with similar options, fits 3 different circuits plus two boosts. Large toggles and amp style bulbs, should dig it out and photograph it. It's a multi fx thing with an external footswitch. Fun for comparing builds but in practice not entirely useful.

Yeah, you should for sure dig that up and post some pics.  I'd love to see it. 

I know that if I wanted to do a square or rectangle hole its probably gonna be a pain in the ass.  How would you go about making a square, rectangle, or triangle?  Currently, all I have is a drill.

snarblinge

Buy. Et of small files, drill carefull holes close to where you need them and patiently expand...

A small cheap file kit usually has a useful triangle one, a round one, and a flat one with four useable edges. There is usually a half round one that causes me no end of trouble....

I'll dig it out and post here in the next few days, I think it doesn't have much in it anymore. But you can get the idea
b.

snarblinge.tumblr.com