Question about Boss DC-2 buttons

Started by Mark Hammer, March 17, 2015, 08:28:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

I picked up a Behringer clone of the Boss DC-2 a few weekends ago.  They were going for under $20, so it was hard to resist.  It appears to be pretty close although I only counted one compander chip in there during a preliminary board glance, instead of 2.  But, a pair of 3207/3102 combos as per the original, as well as the 4-button thing.

Here's what I want to know: Are the buttons on the original "radio-style" buttons, such that pressing any single one unlatches all others?  I ask because this particular unit appears to use 4 independent latching push-buttons.  If I want to have all 4 or any other combination pushed down, I can.  It also provides a slow swirl with NO buttons depressed.

So just how are the buttons supposed to be used on the original?  I spent this morning's bus commute looking at the schematic, so I know what they accomplish when engaged, but are they supposed to be used in combination?  Or was the one I bought "on sale" because it was a batch of factory rejects?

antonis

Quote from: Mark Hammer on March 17, 2015, 08:28:31 AM
was the one I bought "on sale" because it was a batch of factory rejects?

Personally, I would hope for such a "collectible" pedal... :icon_biggrin:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

aion

Yep, the original is radio-style but the Behringer clone is supposed to be four independent buttons. Most people consider this a feature rather than a bug since it gives you the option of using them in combination which gives some additional sounds to work with.

Mark Hammer

Thanks for that.  Assuming that the buttons do the exact same things on each, it does provide a few more variations.  The only glitch is that you pretty much have to treat them like Braille, and touch them to have any sense of their status, because you sure as hell can tell from just looking.  Low profile black buttons against a black background do NOT make for easy viewing.

I'll have to dig up my Tone Core Space Chorus - which also does a multi-chorus thing - and see how the two compare.  Ordinarily, I'd be game to try out Scott Stites' TZF conversion of a Dim-C.  But two big things stand in my way: 1) the original is through-hole and the Behringer is surface mount, and 2) I already have this other big flanger project that makes me feel guiltier every day.