My first pedal build

Started by Butcher, March 17, 2015, 10:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butcher

Well I thought I would try my hand at building a pedal. I decided to pick a pedal that didn't look to complicated so I went with a TS 808 clone. The kit arrived a couple days ago and I spent last night going over everything till I felt confidant that I somewhat understood everything. Tonight I thought I would tackle the soldering and assembly. Everything went well with the build so I decided to plug this bad boy in, crank it up and piss off the neighbours. Well I hate to brag as this was my first pedal build but I am the proud owner of my first silent aluminum box with a REALLY annoying bright red LED. Everything seems to be working meaning I can hear a change in the pitch, tone, volume and changes to all the switches and knobs in the sound of the nice quiet static it produces but ZERO guitar. I guess tomorrow starts the hunt for where the guitar sound is getting lost. There is no sound with retina scorching LED on or off.
Anyone have any ideas where to start looking?
Lectronics NOOOB. Let's just assume I know nothing and move forward from there.

ubersam

Quote from: Butcher on March 17, 2015, 10:27:30 PM...There is no sound with retina scorching LED on or off.
Anyone have any ideas where to start looking?

I'd start with how the input jack is wired to the 3pdt.

MrStab

Quote from: Butcher on March 17, 2015, 10:27:30 PM
I can hear a change in the pitch, tone, volume and changes to all the switches and knobs in the sound of the nice quiet static it produces but ZERO guitar

I'm with Sam on this one, though if it's not a switch wiring issue, i'd check up-to-and-including the input buffer as well. Then the output buffer. Switch wiring is so common an issue that it's probably that, though. If all the pots are "working", it suggests the filling in your rock n' roll sandwich is intact. What an awful analogy. lol
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

LightSoundGeometry

my 3rd build tonight was dead..I tried what I learned to debug it ..it had all my mojo parts in it to as I thought my 3rd would come together and it was time to put the mojo pieces in. well it turned out to be a dud. I got my tropical fich caps back at least and its time to start from scratch again.

put some pphotos up so we all can look at the gut shot and see if something stands out

smallbearelec

I wish you had asked here before tackling this; I, or one of the other experienced hands, would likely have told you that the TS is waaaay too complex for a first build. There are just too many parts, too many connections, too many possible small mistakes, and any One means no joy. I hope that some of the other folks help you get the build working.

Suggestion: Whether you get this going or choose to put it aside for awhile to clear your head, back up and learn to use a solderless breadboard:

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/breadboards-and-accessories-1/

While I have a commercial interest because I sell them, these tools are generic and available anywhere. Learn to use the thing:

http://diy.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/Breadboarding/BreadboardIntro.htm

and then make a one-stage something to work. You'll get some satisfaction and a better idea of the slope (steep) of the learning curve. Be patient, and enjoy the process.

Beo

Visual inspection of the soldering. Continuity checks using an ohm-meter. Check for ground where it shouldn't be. Also, test outside of a box... many times cramming a circuit in a box can cause grounding issues. An audio probe is a great debug tool to follow the audio signal through the circuit.

But first, the bypass switch. If you can't get a clean signal in bypass mode vs some other sound or no sound when engaged, your switch wiring is the place to start. As a beginner, not a bad idea to test the circuit without a bypass switch, wiring you input/output directly to the circuit. Alligator cables are great for this.

bluebunny

^^ Do what these fellas say.  Then go here.  It's the law.   :icon_biggrin:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Butcher

WOW!!
Thanks for all the suggestions, gonna be a busy night working through it all.
I hope its just an input/ output jack problem or my electronics learning is going to have to kick it up a notch.
Thanks again for the help!! I will report back with more info and pics if necessary.

Bluebunny, I'm feeling very warm and fuzzy now.  ;) ;)

bluebunny

Quote from: Butcher on March 18, 2015, 09:37:55 AM
Bluebunny, I'm feeling very warm and fuzzy now.  ;) ;)

Cool.  :icon_cool:  Glad you stayed.  This is a dead neat place to hang out.

BTW, once you've started, there's no getting out!  Hotel California, an' all that...   ;)
  • SUPPORTER

Butcher

Butcher

Thanks guys,
I am happy to report that the first pedal build was a success. To fix the problem I just had to think outside the box as in once I pulled everything out of the box it started to work.  :)
Now to put it in the box without the short (wherever it is) ???
Is there any way to dim this supernova of an LED?

Kipper4

Up the series resistor going to the led anode. that should tame it
I use 4k7s sometime. it all depends how much you like your retinas.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Butcher

Butcher

Quote from: Kipper4 on March 18, 2015, 06:45:44 PM
Up the series resistor going to the led anode. that should tame it
I use 4k7s sometime. it all depends how much you like your retinas.

Do I unsolder the one on the board and replace it with the 4k7?

Kipper4

why not take a similar led from your stock and stick differant resistor between the battery and anode until you find what you want and then do the mod.
If you have a breadboard all the better if not wire with alligator clips will do to experiment with clr (currant limiting resistors)
not only will it save your eyesight it should prolong the life of the led.
Have fun
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Butcher

Butcher

OK that was too much fun!!! I need a new pedal kit.
Any Ideas on a Phase 90 or reverb?

bluebunny

If you do a Phase 90, you'll need to match 4 JFETs.  Matching FETs is a whole new experience to get under your belt, but pretty easy to do.  Or go easy on yourself and do the Phase 45 first (only needs 2 matched JFETs).  Check out Merlin's Equinox II for an interesting little reverb project.  Have a play with the button.  :)
  • SUPPORTER

Butcher

Thanks, I'm all over it.  ;)

duck_arse

and let me know how that equinox goes.
don't make me draw another line.