Buying parts

Started by LightSoundGeometry, March 17, 2015, 11:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LightSoundGeometry

seems like its almost impossible to find all those old MoJO tone parts in one place..guess I need a catalog from mouser or something? I have a difficult time navigating their website ..its more tedious than anything and the information is written in jargon only a doctor of physics and rocket engineering can understand..does the catalog have more laymans terms, information and contain pictures of the items?

Beo

I got SMD resistors once on a failed Mouser order. My fault, but easy to mess up. Experience and research helps. Not that Mouser carries "mojo" parts, unless like me, you think latest technology beats inferior chemistry and manufacturing of the sixties.

LightSoundGeometry

I hear you - they just look cool is all. some are better like the military grade, they seem to measure out more accurately , as do the contemporary parts.

I am a crazy person, I still listen an old 60's transistor radio even though it pops, crackles, drifts and fades in and out lol.

I seen a post by small bear on here. I got some parts from him once.. I liek the stuff he carries and tayda. tayda has bulk stuff for almost nothing and like you said those parts work just as good with modern technology.

I made this argument other places with regards to mexican fenders versus american..when people are essentially paying for the decal sticker. I would even proudly own a squier vibe series guitar just as well.

italianguy63

I have a local parts house with 60's and 70's NOS stuff.. lucky huh?

There is a company out of Canada I get a lot of stuff like this from.. Carbon Comp resistors and old school caps.  It's called "Just Radios" -- good selection.

Make up a big enough order to make the shipping and wait worthwhile.

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

LightSoundGeometry

very cool and thanks for the info. You have to be careful as a noob, I learned because I am out around 500 dollars right now, when ordering from a place like this as radio parts are a higher voltage and wattage more akin to amplifier building parts rather than small voltage guitar pedals.  I am broke now and still very green to this, so I am going to have to wait a little bit. I used up my last parts tonight, so hopefully this build works, took me almost 6 hours off and on tonight to get to this stage here. I really dont know how to test it other than hook it up and try it.. this time , instead of tearing it apart, I am going to read through here and fix it..I have to. there are no leads left on my tropical fish ..I should of socketed them in like the trans but I wasnt thinking once again..its such little small things that kill you..I am positive though it will fire up, I tried to take my time. I did mke one error by accidentally swiping the gun across two tracks but think I have cleared any possible solder jump.

my stuff always look nice like it will work but then doesnt..then I see these guys on ebay/ youtube whith pedals that look like a blind dog put them together and they sound fantastic lolol

italianguy63

Hey that looks nice.  Good work!

I always like seeing those colorful fish-- although they are so fragile to work with!   :P

Good luck to you.  Before you know it, you will be like me and have a whole room devoted to parts like me.   :o

To save money-- just look for bargains, and buy in bulk when you can.  Combine orders to reduce shipping. 

Tayda is your friend.  Lot's of guys on here that sell speciality stuff like you need.  A little pricier, but very good quality and good peeps.

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

LightSoundGeometry

thank you my friend.I will update if I get it to work . and I am always open to any advice or knowledge anyone can pass on to me , appreciate the words!

LightSoundGeometry

sure thing it doesnt work at all ..

nothing but silence ..at least I didnt waste my last LED light to get fried up ..amazing I can get one to work but cant do it again..

antonis

I like your '70s resistors... :icon_wink:

(cleaning their legs for soldering is a pain in the @ss but they smell so good when they are burning..) :icon_lol:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

LightSoundGeometry

thanks! I got her fired up ..it was a cheap 1/4 input jack as the culprit..this may be the best sound octavia I ever heard in person..depending on how you chain with other dirtboxes and how my break up you give her, it goes from sitar synth to clean hendrixy blues - I can for once in my life, I am damn proud of myself for building this :)  the box is a nice powder coated hammertone blue as well, so its look great and not out of place next to any brand or make of pedal.

number 4 looks great ..I can some errors on the 3pdt switch ..I need to go back in and snip up any little strands. also, I need to goto walmart and get some double sided tape to mount her a little bit better. I also would like to get my wire more organized and cut to the exact length lol  - the LED will now go on bottom next wo switch ..I dont like this way and its not practical when pots come into the build or a toggle

good..lol, I am glad I am not the only one out there that like the smell of vero board and burning solder hahah ! I like the smell of two stroke oil burning as well ..from my motocross days :)

LightSoundGeometry

hey mark

" Before you know it, you will be like me and have a whole room devoted to parts like me."

I am a single guy ..my whole upstairs is now a studio / jam room / tool room / build room ..I have a drill press in my living room  ;D ;D

things you can do with no woman in the house !!

duck_arse

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on March 18, 2015, 04:22:55 AM
my stuff always look nice like it will work but then doesnt..then I see these guys on ebay/ youtube whith pedals that look like a blind dog put them together and they sound fantastic lolol

I see two dogs in your profile pic, how's their soldering skills? you need to get yerself some breadboard, it'll save you a fortune in parts, cause you just pull em out and build something else. it'll save you a fortune in sockets, too, and hours in debugging those sockets.

two stroke oil, ahhh, the old RD. and they had two stokes off-road as well, you say?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

LightSoundGeometry

love the smell of Flux and also boiled linseed oil on wood. whenever I do a custom abalone inlay job I oil the necks ups really good so the customer gets that wiff ..it has a tea like smell when applied to wood lol

italianguy63

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on March 18, 2015, 09:08:25 AM
things you can do with no woman in the house !!

You obviously haven't been around (DIY) long enough to know..  Don't get me started again about the weather girl (Lockjaw), Big Ange, and the Russian mail order bride...

???  He says.

MC