A MOSFET powered Bazz Fuss :)

Started by mac, March 18, 2015, 08:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac

In a recent post a I saw a schematic having a mosfet biased by a reverse diode.
The tiny leakage current of the diode is enough to turn the mosfet on because its gate needs a few electrons.

OTOH, in a well tuned Bazz Fuss (or Arsenio Novo distortion), the collector voltage Vc must be equal to the base voltage Vb. This is why a darlington BF sounds better than a 2n5088 or BC550, it needs a lot less current across the diode so Vc tends to Vb with a smaller collector resistor. A mosfet is similar to a darlington in this aspect.

Note:
I wrote about it and posted a circuit that it is in my gallery. If you use a simple transistor, add a big resistor at the base and tweak the collector resistor to find the sweet spot.
For example, if you have hfe=100, Rb=1M the tuning condition Vc=Vb gives,
ic*Rc = ib*Rb =ib*hfe*Rc,
Rc = Rb/hfe = 1M/100 = 10k  :)
And yes, the tuning condition depends on temperature  >:(

So, what if I replace a darlington with a mosfet?
I went to the breadboard, picked a BS170 and it worked fine, much like the darlington version.
But you need a pair of back to back diodes, silicons or leds.
I also used a 100k at the drain with a small change in sound.

If you want a kind of gain control you can add a drain to gate resistor of some mega ohms or less, and/or a source resistor, variable or wired as in a Fuzz Face.

I ran a simulation with an input cap a bit high for my taste, and a power mosfet model. It might roll off more highs than a BS170.
This is the circuit, including a simple guitar mic and cable capacitance.

And the output signal,

Enjoy.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

PRR

Your images do not show. When I access the URL directly I hit a Microsoft log-in.

Use imgur.com or other public host.
  • SUPPORTER

mac

I uploaded the files in a private folder in OneDrive, moved them to a public folder and modified the post  :icon_redface:
Can you see them now? I can in incognito mode after logging out and closing outlook.

BTW, I can't upload in the Layouts Gallery, I get *error 7*, can't write to disk.

mac

bool

Still no-show from your pictures. But yes, a BF mosfet derivative definitely works.

antonis

Am I the only one who sees the pictures..??? ???

(but I can't see any distortion - perhaps because of the 250mV input sin..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

mac

duck_arse

I see everything twice!

why the 0.001 for Rs?

there is a "can't post to gallery" thread, aron say it's full.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

ggedamed

Quote from: duck_arse on March 19, 2015, 10:10:14 AM[...]
why the 0.001 for Rs?

I think the sim chokes when the resistance is 0.
Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open. (Sir James Dewar, Scientist, 1877-1925)

mac

Quotewhy the 0.001 for Rs?

QuoteI think the sim chokes when the resistance is 0.

LTSpice doesn't like 0 resistance.
But the purpose of Rs is to control gain. I ran simulations with different values of Rs.
As I said in the first post, you can put a 2.5K or 5k pot there wired as a variable resistor.

Quote(but I can't see any distortion - perhaps because of the 250mV input sin..)

The input signal is limited and rounded by the diodes. The output looks *like* a sine wave but it is not, it's been distorted, even though the 250mV of the voltage source drops 90% at the *in* node.

mac

mac

antonis

Quote from: mac on March 19, 2015, 12:51:53 PM
The input signal is limited and rounded by the diodes. The output looks *like* a sine wave but it is not, it's been distorted, even though the 250mV of the voltage source drops 90% at the *in* node.

O.K. -  although your screen is at 1mS interval..
(at 500μS or better at 250μS it should be more "realistic"..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

midwayfair

You can also put a MOSFET in there instead of the two diodes -- this makes it more asymmetrical like the original Bazz Fuss, but not quite as insanely so. :)
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!