possible issue with first fuzz pedal?

Started by bleh5150, March 19, 2015, 05:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bleh5150

Hi, I built my first pedal (a bazz fuzz) very basically point to point. No pcb or board, my problem is with the led though. Pedal works absolutely fine and sounds great but regardless of what colour led I put in as anew indicator light will glow red. I have tried white, yellow and green all glow red and then stop working after a short while. Anyone know why this could be happening? Cheers.

mountianjustice

Try putting a resistor in series with the power wire running to the led. The value depends on the voltage you are using.

italianguy63

No "dropdown" resistor, and they are burning out?
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

bleh5150

Thanks for the quick replys, will get on wiring a diode in series with the dc power cable running to the led. As for what diode to use you say it depends on what voltage the pedal is pushing?

italianguy63

No.  You need a resistor.  2K2 is a good ballpark assuming you have a 9V pedal.

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

bleh5150

Sorry my bad don't know why I wrote diode! Iafter looking at the schematic again i think I see where I went wrong! I have connected the dc +,  2k2 resistor and led + all tandher. I should have connected the dc + to my 100k resistor and the 2k2 resistor to the led+ only.

mountianjustice

2k2 is what i always use on 9vdc. red red red color code should do it. Always worked for me.