Dremel Question

Started by Ghode, March 20, 2015, 02:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghode

Hi! I'm looking for a dremel for mi PCBs and I found this cheap one (It's about USD15):

http://articulo.mercadolibre.cl/MLC-424733195-mini-torno-multiproposito-tipo-dremel-powermaq-_JM

It's 12v powered and it drills at 12000 rpm. I only use plastic PCBs with the cooper cover on one side.

¿Would this drill be any good for my PCBs or do I have to look for something more powerful?

Thanks!

GibsonGM

I would guess that it MAY be ok for what you want to do, BUT, if you can save the money and get a *real* Dremel, you'll be able to use it for more projects, and for a longer time before it breaks.   

I have both an actual Dremel, and a Craftsman version, and both are very good...both cost around $60 US.  I've used them enough to have to change the brushes inside, and they have lasted more than 15 years!   For the amount of money you would save, I think you would not gain much because the quality probably won't be very good.

If that is all you can afford, it will probably drill the holes for you, but personally I would look for a real Dremel on Amazon.com or something.  The reason it is inexpensive is probably that it does not have very much torque, so you would have to rely on speed alone to do the holes for you.    But then again, you might get lucky, and maybe it will last for years!!  Hard to say with little information.  :)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...