Diode Clipping Mod

Started by soupbone, March 25, 2015, 01:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soupbone

I'm doing this Diode Clipping Mod for my Boss SD-1 from this page;http://s195.photobucket.com/user/anonymous1375/media/clippingswitch.jpg.html The only thing i wanted to do differnt,is using two diodes on the switch,instead of one.Does it matter if they're wired in Series?(which i normally do.),or Parallel?Is there a sound differnce,or does it not matter?Thanks!

GibsonGM

Looks to me like the aim there is to take the assymetrical clipping (odd numbers of diodes in the feedback loop - one vs. two) and make it symmetrical (1 in each direction).    The intention of the switch is to take one away, not add one...

If you add more, you will change that (yes there's a sound difference)...you can try it out, for sure...in series.  You'd have 1 going one way, and THREE going the other.   You might like that --  I never have, myself - one side clips preferentially too much for my taste, leaving too much of a weird 'clean bleed' sort of thing going on.   Maybe you SHOULD try it, just have done it!

You won't hurt a thing by trying it out, and can remove the extra diode if you choose to.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

soupbone

Quote from: GibsonGM on March 25, 2015, 02:07:06 PM
Looks to me like the aim there is to take the assymetrical clipping (odd numbers of diodes in the feedback loop - one vs. two) and make it symmetrical (1 in each direction).    The intention of the switch is to take one away, not add one...

If you add more, you will change that (yes there's a sound difference)...you can try it out, for sure...in series.  You'd have 1 going one way, and THREE going the other.   You might like that --  I never have, myself - one side clips preferentially too much for my taste, leaving too much of a weird 'clean bleed' sort of thing going on.   Maybe you SHOULD try it, just have done it!

You won't hurt a thing by trying it out, and can remove the extra diode if you choose to.
Cool!I was going to use the 51pf cap on one side,and a 1N4001+Germanium on the other,so that there's not that big of a volume jump.Can I solder them end on end? (in a line),or woul a "V" be better?Thanks!

GibsonGM

Try it out, see how you like it!  You know about how upping the diode chain's forward voltage increases level, so that's 1 big factor.  You'll hear a difference, tho. 

How you wire them in is up to you...I'd just do it as space dictates, y'know...a V if not a lot of room.  If you get a permanent combination, you can heat-shrink them to keep 'em from touching anything.   Whatever works and will be stable for the long haul when you're done! ;)   
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

soupbone

Quote from: GibsonGM on March 25, 2015, 04:06:31 PM
Try it out, see how you like it!  You know about how upping the diode chain's forward voltage increases level, so that's 1 big factor.  You'll hear a difference, tho. 

How you wire them in is up to you...I'd just do it as space dictates, y'know...a V if not a lot of room.  If you get a permanent combination, you can heat-shrink them to keep 'em from touching anything.   Whatever works and will be stable for the long haul when you're done! ;)   
Thanks Mike!