Deluxe Bazz Fuss grounding issue

Started by dwrockdoctor, March 26, 2015, 03:22:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwrockdoctor

Hi there guys,

I've been happily building fuzz and boost style pedals for the past few months, had some good sucesses and a few failures too. Sucessfully completed a zvex fuzz factory clone which is now on my main pedal board and a few successful bazz fusses and a SHO clone too.

I've next put my hand to a deluxe bazz fuss based off a vero layout by nocentelli with a switch incorporated to switch between different diodes. I wired everything up and boxed it but I have major grounding noise with effect engaged but I also major grounding noise in bypass as well, which makes me think the problem is off the circuit board. With effect engaged there is also a slightly off pitch upper octave effect to the fuzz tone... All controls work as they should.

Here is the layout with my bad photoshopped off board wiring drawn in:

I am still a newb at this and have quite a bit to learn but if anyone can see anything amiss that would be causing the problems that would be greatly appreciated. I have tried out a new switch to make sure it wasn't that and also went between having the ground wire from input sleeve go directly to output sleeve too but it didn't. I reflowed any ground wires coming off the board too. All I can think is that either the input or output jack has a dodgy sleeve tab?

antonis

Your wiring looks OK (to me..) :icon_wink:

Try to move DC jack's GND from ring to sleeve (or short-circuit ring & sleeve with a cable) to have a "stiff" GND connection...
(actually to bypass guitar's jack need for grounding bridge...)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

dwrockdoctor

Thanks for the response antonis!

I ended up replacing the output jack and it helped get rid of the ground noise in bypass. There was still some intermittent ground noise when fuzz was on and as I was using plastic jacks I decided to take a wire from the input jack sleeve ground and attach where one of the pots screwed in so it had a more solid ground to the enclosure and now all is sweet and working as it should  :)

Because I used a socketed KSP13 darlington transistor and it has a damn high hFe in combination with the 10K resistor, this iteration of the bazz fuss is rather smooth and has no gated fuzz effect and responds dynamically (ie; cleans up) to guitar volume pot changes rather nicely. Putting in a 2N3904, it instantly went gated but too much because of the 10k resistor. I think I'll make another one these in future with a pot in replacement of the 10k collector resistor so I can dial in some gated response if need be and try out a variety of different gained transistors for a variety of fuzz tones from smooth to spluttery and gated.

antonis

A 2N5088 or a MPSA13 should work fine (as long as your Gain pot is 1k)...

(but of course, all the fun is on trying replacements..) :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..