Power boost fed from a voltage doubler

Started by yeeshkul, March 26, 2015, 05:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yeeshkul

Guys can you see any troubles in feeding a Power Boost with 18V coming from a simple 555 based 9->18V DC voltage doubler?

antonis

Troubles in Voltage feeding, no..!!

Troubles in Current feeding, perhaps...

(I don't know about your Power Boost current demands but you can overcome it via a bypass power transistor..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

yeeshkul

The Power Booster current draw is about 4mA, so i suppose that should be ok. I am maybe a bit afraid of a crosstalk between the doubler and the audio paths.

antonis

I can't see any reason for this...

(but wait for someone who - maybe - have involved with such case..) :icon_wink:

edit: Maybe you'll have a small problem with ripple voltage but you can overcome it with a bigger capacitor and - perhaps - with a simple RC filter..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

bool

A simple CRC (pi-filter) at the doubler output using good low-ESR caps and a well designed ground return path should do it. Imho a 47 Ohm resistor should be good enough for the filter.

Also, a good low-ESR lytic should be placed between the 555's supply pins (8 and 1 iirc).

yeeshkul

Thanks. Do you mean i shall put the PI filter instead of the 22u output cap?

antonis

The 22μF cap is for "smoothing" output voltage...

bool means to place the filter after the cap (first filter's cap in parallel with the output cap..)

yeeshkul

That is what i mean, do i have to have there two separate parallel caps or just one with capacity of those two caps in parallel (the smoothing cap || the first filter cap)?

bool

Oh my ... just add a RC network to the existing output cap to form a CRC "pi-filter" (f.e. a 47 Ohm and another 22uF). That shouldn't be too complicated or what?

yeeshkul

:) that is exactly what i mean - to add it to the existing output cap. Thanks for the advice.

Mark Hammer

yeeshkul

I think it shall be about 2kHz ...

antonis

edited...

samhay

It is generally best practive to run these at frequencies above ~ 20 kHz so that any bleadthrough into the audio is not audible.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com