geofex Spyder component rating and build.

Started by Vipul Nigam, April 01, 2015, 06:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

digi2t

Quote from: R.G. on April 04, 2015, 10:16:56 AM
Actually, this is making me rethink even leaving the Spyder up at geofex. No warnings are ever enough for all people.

It kicked off the whole power brick line of products, so it's served its purpose, and may well be more of a threat to safety than a service to DIYers.

Not a bad idea R.G.. Some yahoo is going to go to court one day claiming that he/she was injured due to your Geofex article not being clear enough, or some convoluted bullshit like that.

• SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Ice-9

While advice on these forums is great I would say to anyone, If you have to ask advice about mains powered circuits on an open forum , you do not know enough about AC power to mess around with it. Make something less dangerous.

AC voltage is not a hobby, IT KILLS
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

antonis

@ Nipul Niqam: I think that we've scolded you enough for (not only) your own safety...!!  :icon_biggrin:

(and not for leaving this forum which is full of regressive and petty guys who don't like new sneaky incomers to their well preserved skills..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

PRR

> this forum which is full of regressive and petty guys who don't like new sneaky incomers

I don't think R.G. and bluebunny fit that description. They have been very helpful to many-many newcomers.
  • SUPPORTER

J0K3RX

Quote from: R.G. on April 04, 2015, 10:16:56 AM
Actually, this is making me rethink even leaving the Spyder up at geofex. No warnings are ever enough for all people.

It kicked off the whole power brick line of products, so it's served its purpose, and may well be more of a threat to safety than a service to DIYers.

I think that would be unnecessary and a little on the extreme side... just my opinion. It's a miracle that some (ALOT) people make it trough life as long as they do these days! I blame it on all of these damn warning signs, lables and disclaimers etc..

PLEASE STOP!! Let natural selection do it's job!! If you don't then you will be interfering with the fine balance of nature and the fabric of the universe... It will correct itself one way or another no matter what you put in place to delay the inevitable! PLEASE let the natural order of things take place in the  NATURAL ORDER!!! :icon_twisted:  
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

bluebunny

Quote from: PRR on April 07, 2015, 06:46:40 PM
I don't think R.G. and bluebunny fit that description. They have been very helpful to many-many newcomers.

That's sweet of you to say so, Paul.  I'm merely regurgitating what I've learned from you and R.G. and many-many others.   :)   Thank you.

Back on-topic - despite the strong warnings, I'm more in the Jim camp than in the Dino camp, noble though his intention is.  I think the warnings have been clearly stated - and certainly by R.G. many-many times over the years I've been here.  If someone nonetheless wants to have a go, then we must let them go ahead.  That may be brutal, but it's not malicious.  I've done mains stuff and taken (I hope) the appropriate amount of care - or got lucky.  I hope the OP does too.   :)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

antonis

> this forum which is full of regressive and petty guys who don't like new sneaky incomers

Come on Paul... :icon_frown:
(you know very well that I was just kidding - maybe the absence of  :icon_biggrin: :icon_wink: emoticons made this misunderstaning..) :icon_redface:

I was simply trying to show exactly what is NOT going on here...
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

bloxstompboxes

Quote from: antonis on April 08, 2015, 07:12:53 AM

Come on Paul... :icon_frown:
(you know very well that I was just kidding - maybe the absence of  :icon_biggrin: :icon_wink: emoticons made this misunderstaning..) :icon_redface:

I was simply trying to show exactly what is NOT going on here...

Idk, that Hammer guys seems pretty suspicious to me. lol.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

Vipul Nigam

Hey people!! My circuits are complete and up and running,I was looking for an aluminium enclosure and spoke to some local fabricators but the cost is high, I was wondering if I could use a wooden enclosure,and if yes I can how should I go about wiring the ground?

bluebunny

"Bump"?  After an hour and a half?  You in a hurry?   :)    You must be - you cross-posted in the "Etched enclosures" pictures thread...   ???

Sure you can use a wooden enclosure.  The ground goes nowhere (assuming there's nothing at all metal that reaches the outside).
  • SUPPORTER

Vipul Nigam

So I don't need shielding tape inside the enclosure? And could leave the ground pin on the IEC conector as it is?

Vipul Nigam

I'll be mounting my transformers to the wooden block using nuts which will be coming outside. Will it be a problem?

snarblinge

And now I'm here...

Don't put shielding inside the wooden enclosure, the chance that. It will detach and short on your AC line is too high, and you will end up with a small fire, which may develop into a big fire. Unless you are cold, fire is bad.

I'd earth the bolts that come through the enclosure, again if something comes loose and they go live, potentially dead person.
b.

snarblinge.tumblr.com

bluebunny

snarblinge is quite right: you don't want or need shielding.  What would you be shielding, anyway?  There's no audio in there.  And there would be the risk, as snarblinge says, of it becoming loose and shorting something and causing a fire.  Wood is traditional fuel for fires.   ;)   Seriously, if you're still asking these questions, then it appears you don't know what you're doing and I continue to be concerned for your safety.
  • SUPPORTER

wavley

I put mine in a metal box, because even though there is no audio in there, there are transformers in there.  I'm not worried about noise coming in, I'm worried about noise coming out in the form of nasty hum pickup up by all the high impedance lines running all over my pedalboard and sneaking into tubes, audio transformers, and such.  Also, since the enclosure is tied to safety ground IF something were to come loose inside it should pop the breaker in the Furman I have it plugged into.

The above is a really big IF, because even though I've been doing this for years and regularly work in tube amps and around 3 phase power at work, I quadruple checked all of my wiring, had second and third sets of eyes double check my wiring, and made sure that there was no place that a hot wire could come loose and touch the enclosure, even if someone went in and snipped a hot wire, they are all routed to never come in contact with bare metal in the enclosure.  Why?  Because this crap can kill you.

Quote from: Vipul Nigam on April 10, 2015, 04:07:13 AM
So I don't need shielding tape inside the enclosure? And could leave the ground pin on the IEC conector as it is?

No you can't leave the ground pin on the IEC connector as it is.  It's your safety ground.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

R.G.

This thread has finally convinced me. I have removed the technical content from the Spyder article, leaving the rest as an historical marker.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

R.G.

@ Vipul Nigam:
Your posts here make me fear for your safety. Please, please, please find someone who is knowledgeable and skilled in AC power wiring review your work and correct safety issues before you try to use it.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

digi2t

Quote from: R.G. on April 10, 2015, 10:51:21 AM
This thread has finally convinced me. I have removed the technical content from the Spyder article, leaving the rest as an historical marker.

+1

Quote from: R.G. on April 10, 2015, 10:53:41 AM
@ Vipul Nigam:
Your posts here make me fear for your safety. Please, please, please find someone who is knowledgeable and skilled in AC power wiring review your work and correct safety issues before you try to use it.

+2

Quite honestly, I've been keeping tabs on this thread too. I've been seeing visions like this of late...

There more graphic images available, but I don't think them necessary.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Rhop

Quote from: R.G. on April 10, 2015, 10:51:21 AM

Unfortunately, it's impossible to remove stuff from the Internet completely...the Wayback Machine remembers, for the persistent enough...

But I completely agree with the decision. I've archived the complete page, just for personal reference.

-Ryan