Eagle driving me nuts

Started by notneb, April 03, 2015, 09:45:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

notneb

Thanks so much jkokura for the video tutorials! Very informative. I've watched more than once and it's been a big help.
   I'm having an issue with drill\pad sizes. though. I'm using the GM libraries mostly and get a great looking board... on my screen and on paper. But as y'all probably guess, my pads are microscopic. I've checked out some other tutorials on making adjustments to the default settings but I haven't had any luck. Whenever I change something in the defualts, I get error error error error, ie. drill\pad size. Why can't they just add an option to make right-click and adjust them on the fly. yeah I know, pipe dream.
   I tried the MadBean libs. but for some reason, often when I'd put to components side by side, they wouldn't line up. One would be just a few mm's offset from the other.
   I'm using all discreet, obviously, just with a LM741. (which got turned in side out when I burned my board, guess I flipped the transparency.
   I really need some help specifically with sizing pads, drilling, and spacing options. I really enjoy creating the schematic and doing the layout and have learned quite a bit from you guys. It's the sizing that's killing me.
   I read alot about building/editing your own parts and I'm willing to take the time to learn, but I'm not sure how it all works together as far as the size of the pads on the part you make vs. the default settings in Eagle about drill sizes (as a percentage of pad size, ug) spacing yada yada yada...
Life's too short to deal with crappy tone.

armdnrdy

To change pad size:

Left click on "DRC", left click on "Restring", the window that opens will allow you to adjust the min, max, and percentage of the pads & vias.

To change drill size and diameter of vias:

Right click on via, Left click on "properties", left click on "drill", choose new drill size from drop down.
Same actions for diameter which can also be found in "properties"

You can also choose a "custom" size by highlighting the diameter number and entering a new diameter.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

antonis

Propably you get "errors" related with pad dimension (clearance between pads or between pad and line/trace)..

Or maybe you raise drill size without raising pad's width (outer diameter related) to an accepted level..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

armdnrdy

If you enlarge the pad size in restring but not the drill size...you get drill errors.

Enlarge the drill size to the size larger than the default and you will no longer get the errors.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

notneb

Thanks for the replies.
O.K. I'll try again and be a little more careful on the sizes.
   If I come up with a size scheme that works for me in the restring menu can I change the properties for a single part? Say for an IC that needs smaller pads or  a spot to wire an offboard component with a thicker wire?

aion

Don't use the GM libraries. They were great for the time gaussmarkov put them together, but wow do they need some serious editing before they're usable. Restringing is the wrong solution. They need to be fixed in the library itself.

Use Madbean's library instead - it'll get you much farther. More info here:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=110411.msg1012781#msg10127814

armdnrdy

Quote from: aion on April 05, 2015, 10:51:43 PM
Restringing is the wrong solution.

How about....this is another option?

I have fared well using the GM library and enlarging the pads using the restring option...as I had outlined.

I usually work on larger builds such as flangers and phasers and house them in small enclosures.

Most of my builds do not have the clearance for oversized pads.

Restring allows you to adjust them per build. If you size the pads larger in the library...you cannot make them smaller.

mth5044

I started with the GM library and enlarged pads from there. I wouldn't say don't use them, tons of great stuff in there, just need some editing. PM me your email. I wrote up a pdf explaining how to change pad size and edit libraries a while back. If I can find it I'll send it to you.

karbomusic

QuoteI have fared well using the GM library and enlarging the pads using the restring option...as I had outlined.

Same here, I just created my own DRU which takes care of this and that was it.

notneb

Got the pdf from Matt on changing the pad sizes on the package and for some reason when I right click on the pad it will only highlight the wire connecting the pad to the resistor body. I've tried it on several different packages and get the same result. Using Eagle 7.
   I messed with the default dru some time ago trying to figure out the pad size thing but some idiot... that would be me :icon_mrgreen:, didn't back up the original default before doing so. I wanted to set it back to the original setup but that's a bust now.
   If you make a change to the dru and the pad size on the package itself, which one over-rides the other? For instance if pad size in dru is X and I change the pad size in the package to Y, what happens in the schematic\layout? Is it X or Y?