Beginning rehousing/simple Mods

Started by LJHugz, April 05, 2015, 07:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJHugz

Hi all. New here- hopefully this is the right place to put this.

I'm a senior in college graduating with an audio degree, looking for a live sound job after I graduate. What brings me here- I have a lot of guitar friends around campus who are always complaining about the Boss pedal aesthetics and that they're buffer pedals. I would really like to learn how to rehouse some simple Boss pedals (delay and reverb) and maybe some Ibanez tube screamers into a simpler layout. Similar to something like this, and also make them true bypass pedals.

I've found some basic tutorials online on how to do this, but am I getting in over my head? I need to learn how to solder and better understand how different circuits work to be able to repair equipment later on in the future, so I wouldn't mind learning. Also the potential with making money doing this by listing on reverb or ebay is intriguing because I haven't seen too many rehoused pedals around.

Basically, does anyone have any advice for a beginner?

Thanks so much.

smallbearelec

A simple re-housing job like this one, simply replacing the BOSS tactile switch with a momentary stomper, is not hard. The only part that's at all tricky is running the right pads from the PCB to the proper contacts on the external power jack, and a good tutorial would show you how to do this. The connections for true bypass are more difficult, but again, there are on-line resources to consult. Keep in mind, though: These days, most people who build true-bypass rather than buffered do so because of technical simplicity; there is little, if any, audible difference in tone.

LJHugz

Quote from: smallbearelec on April 05, 2015, 09:11:01 PM
A simple re-housing job like this one, simply replacing the BOSS tactile switch with a momentary stomper, is not hard. The only part that's at all tricky is running the right pads from the PCB to the proper contacts on the external power jack, and a good tutorial would show you how to do this. The connections for true bypass are more difficult, but again, there are on-line resources to consult. Keep in mind, though: These days, most people who build true-bypass rather than buffered do so because of technical simplicity; there is little, if any, audible difference in tone.

If I opt to not mess with the bypass on my first pedal, would this be all I would expect to need to simply rehouse a Boss DD-3 in a 125b?

smallbearelec

The only thing that does not look right to me is the choice of the power jack. I expected that you'd use a panel-mount part like this:

http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PPP&Product_Code=6004&Category_Code=JAC

and wire to it from the board.