News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

2 in 1?

Started by Jackadacca, April 08, 2015, 04:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackadacca

It's a long shot for someone to answer this since it's going to be a tad vague.

Essentially I'm trying to build a pedal with two effects in one, in this case a distortion and a phaser, I've thought about it that it'd be best to do two separate circuits but wire them together. I thought it'd be easy enough, stomp switch for each one and pots for each. But..

Linking them together? Simple case of following the in/out through the boards? 

If any could point me in the right direction it'd be great  :icon_biggrin:

aron

Yes, you can do that or put 2 switches in there and just have an bypass for each one. I like your thinking. For me, I would put the phaser after the distortion.

armdnrdy

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

mth5044

Jacks and 1/4" cables are just extensions of wiring. Instead of going from a switch to a jack to a cable to a jack to a switch, you're just connecting switch to switch.

You can also throw in an order switching switch using a 3PDT (check out Beavis Audio) so you aren't stuck with distortion in front of phaser or whatever you choose.

Jackadacca

Thanks all for the help there

Aron with that diagram I can see that if I wasn't using a DC jack id take the 9v to R1, but for the ground coming off the DC jack would that just go from from board to negative terminal on the 9v?

duck_arse

if you build with four jacks, you can 'loop-out/loop-in' with other effects, in your choice of order. you can wire the out of one and the in of the other to switch the signal when there is no plugs plugged.
don't make me draw another line.

GhostRider

ghostsauce

I'm a fan of the 2-in-1's, and having built one that I gig regularly I would advise that you do use 4 jacks like the quack said. You never know when you'll wanna loop it out or even just reverse the order later on. For $3 it's 9.92x more versatile. I have been putting off opening mine back up to modify it in this way but it's gonna happen soon.