Box of Rock (dirt side only) build/question

Started by bendeane, April 10, 2015, 12:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bendeane

So, I've got a BOR on stripboard and overall it's nothing short of awesome!  It's not boxed up but I got a chance to really crank it thru my Rivera tonight and I have a couple of observations/questions about two things in particular that I don't necessarily like about it.

1) Is the tone control just a passive hi frequency roll-off?  I start with it dimed and it's nice and bright.  When I turn it down, it seems to take a good chunk of volume with the treble it takes off.  Any solution or is this just perceived and not an actual output drop?

2) When at full gain the low notes get sort of "blatty" (not sure if that's a descriptor but think I've heard it thrown around as a way to describe what I'm hearing) almost fuzz like.  My friend that was demoing it with me wondered if there was a way to gradually roll off some of the bass frequencies as the gain gets turned up.  Any suggestions?

The build I did is the stripboard found here:  http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/03/zvex-box-of-rock-complete.html

I know I said it's the dirt side only, 'cause even though I built the whole thing, I just hooked up the dirt side for my test this evening.  I believe they are completely independent of each other on the board (the sho and the distortion, that is).

Thanks for any input!

nocentelli

The tone control is just the big muff stack with different values, so it's a combined highpass/lowpass filter: Since the BOR is quite bright (three glassy super hardons in series) rolling back the treble may well seem to cut the output. You could experiment with either a breadboard, duncan's tonestack calculator or both to tweak the cap values and/or resistor values to get a better response. If you want to cut bass and treble separately, you could replace the tone pot with the Rat treble filter control (just a 100k pot wired with lug 3 from the 1u output cap from Q3, and lug 2 connected to a 3n3 cap to ground: The node of lug2 and the cap leg is then connected to lug 3 of the volume pot) and omit the 10k/2n filtering pairs. You could then use a 500k or 1M pot in series with the 470k resistor that is in parallel with that 470p cap between Q1 and Q2 to further trim the bass down.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again