script phase 90 speed indicator led

Started by harrisxr650, April 11, 2015, 12:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harrisxr650

ey guys, i've build a script phase a couple of years ago and i'm looking at a speed indicator led mod.
can anyone help?
the layout i've used is in the middle of the page as pdf attacment
http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?t=857&p=11874

thanks

PRR

• SUPPORTER

harrisxr650

ok just a veryfication i got it right.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj162/harrisxr650/phase%2090.jpg

thanks again

Mark Hammer

If a person wishes to have both a modulation rate indicator LED and a bypass/engage status LED, I will suggest getting hold of an RGB LED.  This has 4 leads; a common, and one lead for each colour.  Normally, a person would use the 3rd set of contacts on a 3PDT to connect and disconnect the status-indicator LED.  If you use a a 3-colour LED, you can leave it connected to the LFO all the time, and use the stompswitch to simply change which colour is blinking.  Blinking RED means the pedal is bypassed, and blinking green (or blue if you like) means the pedal is engaged.  You get to see what the rate is, but only need one hole.

Alternatively, another strategy is to use a superbright LED for the rate indicator, and leave it always connected.  Paul/PRR shows a 2k2 current-limiting resistor in series with the LED.  Superbrights don't require that much current to glow very visibly, so a person could easily use 15k instead of 2k2.  HOWEVER, even with 18k-22k, sometimes, you can still see them easily, even if they don't shine across a stage.  So consider using something in the 18k-22k range, and use the 3rd set of contacts on the stompswitch to connect another resistor in parallel with that.  For instance, placing a 47k in parallel with 22k would give you 15k.  Dropping the current-limiting resistance from 22k down to 15k would produce a noticeably increase in brightness.  39k in parallel with 22k drops you down to 14k.  THis way you get bright blinking when the pedal is engaged, and dim blinking when bypassed.

mth5044

That bicolor LED switching is brilliant, Mark. No surprise speeds when you turn the pedal on and no need for two LEDs. Could be in a jam for a pedal were you can turn the modulation off and the pedal itself is still functional, but still a great idea.

greaser_au

Quote from: mth5044 on April 19, 2015, 07:55:23 PM
That bicolor LED switching is brilliant, Mark. No surprise speeds when you turn the pedal on and no need for two LEDs. Could be in a jam for a pedal were you can turn the modulation off and the pedal itself is still functional, but still a great idea.

How about just using more of the LEDs in the RGB package?  You'd have to be thoughtful about common anode/cathode, and choose the series resistors well. Say, a pedal with some sort of mode 'X':
Red from the LFO (permanently) - effect off Xmode off = LED blinks red in time with the LFO
Green from the status: effect on Xmode off =  LED green, blinks yellow in time with the LFO
X-status from the blue, effect off, Xmode-on = LED blue, blinks magenta in time with the LFO. main effect on = LED cyan, blinks white in time with the LFO.

What if X was another LFO?  maybe running at a different rate to red?  ;D

david

Mark Hammer

All good ideas.  I only have limited experience with these devices, and my eyes are not your eyes, but my sense is that the visibility of the different colours, fed the same current, can be a bit different.  All of which is to say that creative use of the different colour combinations may be great on paper, but result in "Gee, that's not as bright as I thought it was going to be" being muttered in practice.

Bottom line:  Let your imagination run wild, but be realistic in your expectations.

There are some pedals which may call for a rotary switch, but panel space may be too limited for use of a chickenhead knob.  In those instances - assuming the switch permits - a slender profile knob can be used with an RGB LED to indicate mode by colour, rather than where the chicken-beak is pointing.

greaser_au

Quote from: Mark Hammer on April 20, 2015, 08:54:28 AM
All good ideas.  I only have limited experience with these devices, and my eyes are not your eyes, but my sense is that the visibility of the different colours, fed the same current, can be a bit different.  All of which is to say that creative use of the different colour combinations may be great on paper, but result in "Gee, that's not as bright as I thought it was going to be" being muttered in practice.

Bottom line:  Let your imagination run wild, but be realistic in your expectations.

Mark,
This was a half-humourous suggestion, thinking about 7-colour LEDs,  but you are correct, and thus the suggestion of tuning the series resistors for maximum smoke, just need to get the proportions right (IIRC from my TV days: 30R:59G:11B for white) .

However, given the effect on the human eye of stage cans with gels (or any level of environmental colour cast or luminance difference), it would be a contrast *between* the colours that would be most valuable, I think  - but then there are many among us with a level of red/green blindness that would render most multicolour LED suggestions moot ;)

david