Extra circuit on a schematic

Started by intergalatico, April 12, 2015, 02:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

intergalatico

Hello fellows,

I want To build a octave fuzz with the schematic from BYOC. On the schematic beside the main circuit is a small circuit with a diode, capacitor +V and Ground.

I can't see how this interacts with the main circuit and I hope some of you guys can help me!

Here is the PDF from BYOC and the schematic is on the page 19:

http://byocelectronics.com/octavefuzzinstructions.pdf

Thank you so much!

Cheers

ubersam

The diode (D3) is for reverse polarity protection and the capacitor (C8?) is for power supply filtering.

intergalatico

Thank you for the very quick answer!

And where on the signal chain I put this? Doesn't matter?

Thank you!!

anotherjim

It's a common practice to show circuit elements as isolated parts of the whole. It helps keep things clear without all the wiring lines running around everywhere. A method is used to give each separated termination an identity that tells you it's actually connected to another termination with the same identity.
Here you have inverted triangles with no marking that is the 0v (ground)
And the triangles marked +V are the power supply +9V.
There's an error in the one with the effect bypass LED on SW1c. It's marked +9v but to be consistent should have been +V.

intergalatico

Thank you so much!

So, that means that this part is only beetwen + and - so doesn't affect the signal, right? Its only a power supply thing. (Im sorry, like you guys notice I'm a noob and this will be my first really build!)

About the +9V on the SW1c is just a nomenclature standart  to name it as +V, but actually is a +9V, right?

Thank you, so much to learn but here I am on the right place and on good hands. You guys are amazing! Really thank you for the help!

Cheers

GibsonGM

Correct, that part of the schematic is not in the signal path.  It is important, as it helps to condition the power supply for the circuit and gives some protection against connecting the power backwards, but there is no audio signal there.

+V  is 9V, yes.     

It just takes time to get used to reading schematics - it will become clear in time :)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

anotherjim

Yep, the triangles are common connection nodes or "Nets". +V is a Net name. The Ground has a Net name too, but it's a convention not to show it, the triangle pointing down is sufficient.

There is a best place to connect the capacitor and protection diodes. The wires from battery/power jack and the ground from the input jack should go to the diode and capacitor first, then +V and Ground loop feed the rest of the circuit.

You will see schematics where the same power and ground "main" connections are divided into separate paths with unique net names. These are circuits where the designer has had to take steps to keep current flow in part of the circuit from interfering with the rest. Common ones are Agnd (analog ground), Dgnd (digital ground). This will force the builder (or PCB CAD software) to route the paths separately. The builder has to read the names carefully and only connect to those with the same name.

We do tend to show ALL the wires in the signal path (it's easier to read and follow the flow), but complex circuits, which may be spread of 2 or more sheets, may also use the triangle (there are other symbols) to show it connects to somewhere else with the same name which may be on another sheet. The designer should add a note stating which other sheet that is, but don't always.

Transmogrifox

Speaking of things being showed incorrectly on the schematic:

The diode is shown backwards also.  Hopefully the PCB silkscreen shows this going the right direction or it could cause confusion when somebody can't figure out why the LED doesn't turn on.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

anotherjim

Good spot. The LED is shown reverse!

smallbearelec

You say that you intend to "build from the schematic". How do you intend to build? As in: Do you intend to build on perfboard? Buy a PC board? This thing has way more parts than I would recommend for a first build. Please read my Beginner Dos and Don'ts:

http://diy.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/BeginnerArticle/BeginnerDos.htm

before you order parts.

intergalatico

I appreciate your help guys!

Thanks,  Transmogrifox! This would make me crazy for sure!

smallbearelec, I really see your point and thank you for guiding me. Your post was very interesting! But, I learned a lot from the mistakes that I did building a simple circuit for my GR-55 guitar synth to allow me some remote controls, normal guitar input. The circuit uses resistors, capacitors, IC's and a very painful Din 13 pins! I did the design myself on the DIY Creator after a schematic:   (from the user a2dconverter from vguitar forum).

I know, is very easy but I feel that I learned very much. Specially the soldering skills on the s**** 13 pins connectors!  ;D

So this will be m first effect build. Actually, besides the fun and the learning factor I am looking for the effect that I choose. I want a octave fuzz... they are expensive, so I thought that even if on the end I will spend more money that one from the factory, I have the chance to make it correct and learn during the process.

Like I say I am using the great DIY Creator and I like to use this boards with 3 holes in contact with each other (sorry, I don't know the name). For me is easier to make the connections. I would love to post my design here and if someone take a look I will be very great full! 

Thank's a lot for sharing such a knowledge and to take the time to help some noob like me!

Cheers

smallbearelec

Quote from: intergalatico on April 13, 2015, 04:40:13 AM
I did building a simple circuit for my GR-55 guitar synth to allow me some remote controls, normal guitar input.

Did you get this working? If so, I agree that you learned enough to do the octave box. However, you should still pay attention to making your layouts easier to build, read and troubleshoot.

intergalatico

So, it toke me a while but now I have all the parts on my hands and just finished the layout.

Would some kind soul take a look and see if is all right?

I know is kind of a mess but is my first build... and first vero layout...

Thank you!

duck_arse

you probably don't want that 33k under the transformer, you can shift it left out pasr the 220k. or shift the 1nF right one, and move the 22k to just left of that transistor. or move the link under and put the 22k where the link was.

don't get me started on vero edits ......
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

intergalatico

I didn't make it to work... I think I mess the things up on the transformer.

Can somebody help me on that? Wich is the pins 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 of the TM022?

I really apreciate it!

Thank you!

ubersam