PEE EIGHT Octave Fuzz (only 4 parts) (SOUNDSAMPLES ADDED!)

Started by FUZZZZzzzz, April 13, 2015, 05:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

~arph

DougH

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

FUZZZZzzzz

I was trying for a 7805 solution with filtering caps, but you guys can easily beat me with a lower partcount :)
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

FUZZZZzzzz

Thanks!.. no I'm gonna wait for someone to mod the **** out of it and make it way cooler

Quote from: DougH on April 14, 2015, 09:53:53 AM
Sounds a little like a ring modulator. Cool.

Mark Hammer

Not my tonal cup of tea, but for only 4 parts, I am mucho impressed.  Tip o' the hat, my friend.

DougH

It's more of a synth sound than a guitar sound, to me. But I like it!
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

FUZZZZzzzz

Has anyone build it yet? I know there's not a lot to verify, but still. I also need to make a new layout with a voltage regulator (perfect voltage for the chip is between 4,5 and 9 volts) if anyone wants to chip in with a stable low part solution, be my guest. I will probably work on it this weekend.

FUZZZZzzzz

about voltage dividers.. bare with me.. would this work for this circuit? What kind of power filtering would this need?

Buzz

Hey FuZZZZzzz.

Nearly let this one slip by without noticing.

Still got a couple of 567s

Definitely on the build list. Still annoying my bandmates with the Thulsa Doom, Ha ha ha.
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected stompbox machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the MIDI-controller!

FUZZZZzzzz

It wont be so impressive on bass I'm afraid.. time to get out the sixstring  ;)

Quote from: Buzz on April 17, 2015, 06:49:49 AM
Hey FuZZZZzzz.

Nearly let this one slip by without noticing.

Still got a couple of 567s

Definitely on the build list. Still annoying my bandmates with the Thulsa Doom, Ha ha ha.

~arph

I would increase the resistors a bit. Now there is 250 ohms between 9V and GND, meaning that there will be 0.324 Watts on that resistor.. So it'll get hot ,and if you use 1/4 Watt resistors it'll burn out.
Also, check the current requirement of the 567. If you make R1 too big it will get too little current.
I'd still go for the zener option..

EDIT:  It needs max. 13mA   so the max R1 you can use is  9V / 0.013 = 692 Ohms. (680 is a nice close value)
This would give a divider of 680 / 2k7

FUZZZZzzzz

thank you arph. still a lot to learn. what would be the big advantage with the zener option over this?

~arph

It'll keep the input voltage to the 567 constant with a varying supply. (as long as the supply is higher than the zener value.) With a divider, the divided voltage follows the input voltage.

FUZZZZzzzz

cool, thanks! will try both

Quote from: ~arph on April 17, 2015, 07:31:45 AM
It'll keep the input voltage to the 567 constant with a varying supply. (as long as the supply is higher than the zener value.) With a divider, the divided voltage follows the input voltage.

nocentelli

Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

stonerbox

Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on April 13, 2015, 05:42:47 AM
I dont know, but it works very well (tried it on my EKO 700 and Stratocaster) Humbucker types seem a bit more pronounced, but it works like a charm nonetheless. Very greenringeresque.
I also used a lpb1 in front to push it a little more ( i dont think its unity by itself)

UPDATE: SOUNDSAMPLES HERE: https://soundcloud.com/fuzzzzzzzz

I freaking love the demos man, they put a big smile on my face!  :icon_mrgreen: Nice one!
There is nothing more to be said or to be done tonight, so hand me over my violin and let us try to forget for half an hour the miserable weather and the still more miserable ways of our fellowmen. - Holmes

garcho

Bravo! Looking forward to messing with this.

If you haven't, check out Escobedo's/Christian's 'Thing Mod'.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

~arph

Quote from: nocentelli on April 17, 2015, 02:08:44 PM
Quote from: ~arph on April 14, 2015, 09:43:26 AM
Or a small resistor and a zener. (7v6 ?)

100r resistor? Why the resistor?

To limit current through the diode I believe. I once tried it without and things got heated  ;D

yeeshkul

It depends on the current draw - i suppose it will be 5-15mA. In that case use a common diode or even 20mA LED in series with the DC input. No resistor or even a voltage divider is necessary. The diode/LED will drop the voltage 1-2V and it will work as a polarity protection at the same time..

FUZZZZzzzz

Thanks for the thumbs up!  ;D  Looking from the music in you signature..you definitely have to build one yourself as well ;)

Quote from: stonerbox on April 17, 2015, 02:35:20 PM
Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on April 13, 2015, 05:42:47 AM
I dont know, but it works very well (tried it on my EKO 700 and Stratocaster) Humbucker types seem a bit more pronounced, but it works like a charm nonetheless. Very greenringeresque.
I also used a lpb1 in front to push it a little more ( i dont think its unity by itself)

UPDATE: SOUNDSAMPLES HERE: https://soundcloud.com/fuzzzzzzzz

I freaking love the demos man, they put a big smile on my face!  :icon_mrgreen: Nice one!