First build... almost

Started by notneb, April 14, 2015, 09:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notneb

Here are pix of my first build:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rgm1nj04itp4vrm/OverDrivebrd.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gzfoi9nzh8sn7kf/OverDrivebrdback.jpg?dl=0
um... I screwed up. Yeah... I flipped the transparency when I exposed the board and inverted the pins on the LM741. Yeah, and the pots, too. So it kinda doesn't work. Back to the drawing board. Got another one brewing. Hope it sounds as good in the box as it did on my breadboard.
   Oh, BTW, it's based on the DOD 250 schematic from Beavis Audio with a few tweaks and I fitted his excellent tone circuit in, also. Sounded super sweet and very sensitive to picking dynamics... but you'll have to take my word for it since I didn't record any demos. If I get the thing working I'll upload some sound.
Life's too short to deal with crappy tone.

Brisance

Soldering looks great for first try!

antonis

+1

(but I shouldn't trust very much the 2 diodes "off-board" connection...)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

notneb

Thanks! And yeah, that "off board" connection has been rectified in the schematic. I had words with myself when I discovered the one diode had no positive connection. :icon_redface:

antonis

It maybe should create an opportunity for a switchable assymetrical clipping... :icon_wink:
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

duck_arse

notneb - I hear a lot of people do the un-reversed layout early on in their doings. I'm led to believe there is two simple solutions, especially when dealing with something as cheap as a 741. either solder it onto the underside of the board, or confound all who follow you by carefully bending all the pins, from down pointing to up pointing. then jamb it back into the socket.

and if it don't work, try bigger caps first, then chuck it.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Jdansti

Quote from: duck_arse on April 15, 2015, 11:13:32 AM
notneb - I hear a lot of people do the un-reversed layout early on in their doings. I'm led to believe there is two simple solutions, especially when dealing with something as cheap as a 741. either solder it onto the underside of the board, or confound all who follow you by carefully bending all the pins, from down pointing to up pointing. then jamb it back into the socket.

and if it don't work, try bigger caps first, then chuck it.

But won't the sound still come out backwards?   ;)
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Brisance

notneb

:icon_razz: KILLING ME!! My wife didn't get the whole music coming out backwards thing. She had no idea why I was shooting coffee out of my nose.

antonis

You've nothing to worry about as long as your keyboard is kept coffee spit free... :icon_wink:

notneb

Actually, I came up with something fairly simple to help me visualize what's happening during the burning process. Transparency, sharpie, a few crudely drawn passives and an ic... flippity flop and I can see how the pins are affected with my cheesy little mock-up.
  btw, next, I plan to try the laser jet and iron method instead of the transparency method. Any thoughts? Looks like you can get a sharper image with less hassle.

Brisance

notneb

Are you implying I shouldn't believe everything I read?

Brisance

I meant that perfecting the toner transfer can be a b*tch from personal experience.