Small Time delay - Oscillation switch?

Started by Chugs, April 16, 2015, 03:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chugs

I built Merlin's Small Time delay a couple of years and really like it. I was thinking of adding a second foot switch that would send the pedal into oscillation. Would reducing, or shorting, the 10K resistor in series with the wiper of the Repeats pot be a good way to achieve this?

merlinb

Yes that will do the trick. I remember that 8.2k was just enough to push it into oscillation, so you might start by paralleling a 39k resistor (10k||39k|| = 8k).

samhay

I dropped the value of the 10k in my build to ~ 7-8k (if I remember correctly), which gives almost-runaway repeats when the Repeats control is at max.

Note however that this won't quite accomplish everything the OP asked for as if you short this 10k with a second switch, but have the Repeats control at min, nothing much will happen. If you used a DPDT then you could switch something in parallel to the 10k with one half of the switch while simultaneously switching in a large resistance between lug 1 of the Repeats pot and ground (thus effectively turning the repeats pot all the way up).
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

merlinb

Quote from: samhay on April 16, 2015, 09:21:19 AM
if you short this 10k with a second switch, but have the Repeats control at min, nothing much will happen. If you used a DPDT then you could switch something in parallel to the 10k with one half of the switch while simultaneously switching in a large resistance between lug 1 of the Repeats pot and ground (thus effectively turning the repeats pot all the way up).
True. In fact, you might as well just change to the 10k resistor permanently to 8.2k or less. Then just lift the ground of the repeats pot  (with a large-ish resistor in parallel with the switch, as you said, to reduce pops).

Chugs