Impossible looper? Or just me...

Started by Ohioisonfire, April 17, 2015, 01:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohioisonfire

Hello,

I've been lurking around here for years but only posted a couple times.  So here's my idea (I saw something similar for sale but it was only similar and a lot more $ than DIY):  when I play with my band I have two main sounds, amps distortion channel with ts9 and noise gate, and then amps clean channel with chorus, phaser or delay.  As of right now to make the change I have to hit a minimum of 3 pedals and then the channel switch as well. So I'm wondering if it's possible to create a pedal that does the following:  has two switches. One switch changes between loop 1 and 2 AND switches amps channel at the same time.  For example I am playing clean channel with chorus, I hit the switch now I am playing distortion channel with ts9/noise gate. and then the other switch would make it so that while playing on the distorting channel with loop 1 (ts9 noise gate) I could turn on loop 2 to get some chorus or phaser. Does this make any sense?  Would anything close be possible?  Is there already a schematic somewhere that I have just not been able to find? 

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark Hammer

Pivotal to fulfilling this request is some info about the amplifier/s in question.

This is ONE amp?
If it is one amp, is channel a function of what you plug into (like and older black/silver-face Fender), or is there a common input, and a channel-selector switch flips that input along this route or that?

Ohioisonfire

The amplifier in question is a krank krankenstein which has a common input and a channel selector switch. I also have a mesa single rec that is the same way so which ever one really..

trixdropd

I make exactly what you're after. http://championpedals.com/tapdance.html in conjunction with http://championpedals.com/trs1fs.html

Here's another I made along the same lines...   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF5NIkdAUNQ

mth5044

Quote from: trixdropd on April 17, 2015, 03:13:54 PM
I make exactly what you're after. http://championpedals.com/tapdance.html

Here's another I made along the same lines...   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF5NIkdAUNQ

Maybe I don't understand your description, but I don't think that is 'exactly' what he's looking for. It doesn't have the amp switching ability. Does your product have the ability to use booth loops at once? I kind of get that in your description, but it's not outright stated.

OP, it would be helpful to know what kind of switching is in your amp. Not all remote channel changing footswitches are the same.

trixdropd

Quote from: mth5044 on April 17, 2015, 03:21:39 PM

Here's another I made along the same lines...   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF5NIkdAUNQ

Maybe I don't understand your description, but I don't think that is 'exactly' what he's looking for. It doesn't have the amp switching ability. Does your product have the ability to use booth loops at once? I kind of get that in your description, but it's not outright stated.

OP, it would be helpful to know what kind of switching is in your amp. Not all remote channel changing footswitches are the same.

I could have been a little clearer but I was in a hurry.

The Tap Dance has two loops; either discrete (meaning independent) or with a toggle function (switches between 1 OR 2).
It's remotely controlled by a trs or ts latching footswitch. My TRS-2FS or my TRS-1FS both have 2 1/4" TRS jacks out, so one goes to the amp, one to the Tap Dance. 1 Button press and you switch channels and loops. Boom.

The video I posted showed the same thing in a single pedal for a randall amp.

I quit making my all in one "JCM Looper". I can't seem to find a good layout that I used but here is a raw breakdown of what you need.

I suggest using the info at geofex under "a remote indicating bypass"

trixdropd

Quote from: trixdropd on April 17, 2015, 08:40:21 PM
Quote from: mth5044 on April 17, 2015, 03:21:39 PM

I could have been a little clearer but I was in a hurry.

The Tap Dance has two loops; either discrete (meaning independent) or with a toggle function (switches between 1 OR 2).
It's remotely controlled by a trs or ts latching footswitch. My TRS-2FS or my TRS-1FS both have 2 1/4" TRS jacks out, so one goes to the amp, one to the Tap Dance. 1 Button press and you switch channels and loops. Boom.

The video I posted showed the same thing in a single pedal for a randall amp.

I quit making my all in one "JCM Looper". I can't seem to find a good layout that I used but here is a raw breakdown of what you need.

I suggest using the info at geofex under "a remote indicating bypass" in regards to the relay driver lines.

The left black boxes are dpdt stomp switches, the right are dpdt 9v relays from Omron. g-9v-hi-2 I think.

Ohioisonfire

Hey,

I appreciate the responses, that layout posted looks pretty promising I just have some questions about it. Would it just be wired up as shown?  I read the geofex article and it seemed quite a bit more complicated than the diagram on here..  Also, trixdropd, that pedal in your video is almost exactly what I'm looking for, for similar sounds as well haha. However if I'm understanding things correctly that pedal in the layout would allow me to switch channel and swap between loops like I was looking for but also have both loops on at the same time if I wanted?  I'm also not sure how the krank footswitch works (just bought the amp with no footswitch so I don't have to take the mesa around).

Thanks again!

Actually just looked up those relays and realized it would just be switching between the toe loops like the video but that is more than close enough.

trixdropd

Quote from: Ohioisonfire on April 21, 2015, 04:18:00 PM
Hey,

I appreciate the responses, that layout posted looks pretty promising I just have some questions about it. Would it just be wired up as shown?  I read the geofex article and it seemed quite a bit more complicated than the diagram on here..  Also, trixdropd, that pedal in your video is almost exactly what I'm looking for, for similar sounds as well haha. However if I'm understanding things correctly that pedal in the layout would allow me to switch channel and swap between loops like I was looking for but also have both loops on at the same time if I wanted?  I'm also not sure how the krank footswitch works (just bought the amp with no footswitch so I don't have to take the mesa around).

Thanks again!

Actually just looked up those relays and realized it would just be switching between the toe loops like the video but that is more than close enough.

It will work as shown in the diagram. But..... It works even better (less clicking) with the wiring setup like in RG's article. Just a transistor, a few resistors and a couple caps. I just use 9v rather than 12 that he has specified.

My Tap Dance has a button that selects between toggle and discrete mode. So it can have both loops on if necessary, but to do what you want you want toggle mode.

Your Krank footwswitch should be tip to sleeve changes channels ring to sleeve changes something else.

Ohioisonfire

One last question about that diagram, where the relays are I see the LEDS but then there is a little connection that just says diode?  Maybe a stupid question but I'm just a bit confused about that. Starting to get all my parts together just need to make sure about that.

Ohioisonfire

Also does anyone have a layout for one that would just change the channel and activate a loop at the same time?  Seems like it would be a lot simpler/I've seen a lot of them for sale and I think it would be more practical. Thanks again.

trixdropd

Quote from: Ohioisonfire on May 01, 2015, 11:14:27 AM
One last question about that diagram, where the relays are I see the LEDS but then there is a little connection that just says diode?  Maybe a stupid question but I'm just a bit confused about that. Starting to get all my parts together just need to make sure about that.

It means you need a small signal diode across + and - on the relay.

trixdropd

Quote from: Ohioisonfire on May 01, 2015, 11:32:20 AM
Also does anyone have a layout for one that would just change the channel and activate a loop at the same time?  Seems like it would be a lot simpler/I've seen a lot of them for sale and I think it would be more practical. Thanks again.
The diagram above does exactly that. I don't see it getting any simpler