Ibanez AD-9 true bypassed clone

Started by Blondcorto, April 20, 2015, 03:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blondcorto

Hello everybody !
I'm new on this forum. I'm here to querry some help and tips !

I'd like to make an Ibanez AD-9 clone for my pedalboard. I really love the sound of this box but to expensive for me... So, diy could be the solution ! This will not be my first diy stompbox.

What I would like to do : to make it true bypassed, on stripboard designed with DIYLC, everything in a Hammond 1590BB enclosure.
I think I can remove lots of parts (of the disabling system) I won't need according to the fact thjat I want it TB.

I've downloaded schematic drawn by Dirk_Hendrik in 2007. See the link below (it's where I found schematic) :
http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Delay%20Echo%20and%20Samplers/Ibanez%20AD9.pdf

My question is what have I to remove to make it TB. I understand that 2SK118 are N-JFET and act like electronic switch (open/close footswitch dependant), is that correct ?
Anyway, I'm not skilled enough to understand exactly what parts are used for the Ibanez disabling system.
I plan to remove everything from C16 to T8, everything between C25 and P2 and everything from LED1 to Footswitch and T12.
What about Dry Output ? I'd like to keep it in my clone. I will keep too buffer input stage and buffer output stage.

Could someone please help me, send me some explanations, give me your opinion ?
Thank you and have a nice day (it's an order, lol) !

Brisance

If you want to make pedals, DIY is rarely cheaper than the real thing, just a warning ;)

Elijah-Baley

This project could be really interesting! :P I love stripboard.
But too much complicated for me this schematic. I wish I could help you.

I don't know, maybe I have built just simple pedals, no painted and no labeling, but I found DIY pedals always cheaper than original or similar (EA Tremolo, TS808, MicroAmp...).
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

Brisance

but to help on the topic, I will modify the schematic when I get home from work

Blondcorto

Thanks Brisance, any help will be appreciated !

Blondcorto

Blondcorto

Brisance

sorry, didn't get home until very late yesterday, will try again today.

bean

Quote from: Blondcorto on April 20, 2015, 07:58:28 AM
As a start point, here is what I plan to do :
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13753911/Ibanez_AD9_schematic_mods_to_TB.pdf
Do you think it is correct ?
Thanks a lot !

You pretty much got it, but you need R44. You also do not need the two caps you drew in by the output mixer, or the two caps you drew in between C25 and the repeat knob. You don't need the stuff in the question mark area, either.

Blondcorto

Thanks a lot, Bean !

I've made a new modified schematic by erasing parts I do not need (well, assuming I've understood your answer lol).
Here the link to see the result :
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13753911/Ibanez_AD9_schematic_mods_to_TB2.pdf

What you thought to be caps (drawn in red on my first schem mod) were in fact cuts in circuitry  :)
My fault, I was not clear enough  :icon_confused:

So, if you could take a look at the new version it would be great because I don't understand why I still need R44 ???
Other question about dry output (I'd like to keep this output if possible) => to the ground as you'll see on the new modified schematic.
So two question mark areas : R44 and dry output.

One more time, thanks a lot

nickbungus

You seem to be on a very similar path to what I was on with my fOXX phaser clone.

Costing wise, if you already have all the tools then it is cheaper to DIY, otherwise, just buy one if they are available.

Starting from a schematic, I tried all the software tools under the sun but eventually I found DesignSpark to be the easiest.  Its also 100% free.

After drawing up the schematic in all these software packages I was looking for a magical button to press that would turn in into a PCB layout.  Unfortunately, none of them have it.

But with DesignSpark, after I drew up the schematic, I ran up the PCB view and then spent a lot of time, trial and error, laying out the board.  Once I had the layout to the desired size and had no errors I etched a PCB.  Low and behold it worked.
To the extreme, I rock a mic like a vandal.
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.