Relay extra pins (Omron G6H-2-100)

Started by Beo, April 21, 2015, 10:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beo

Maybe a dumb question. I'm trying to tighten up a pcb layout, and I'm wrapping traces around the unused pin 5 and 6.
Think these are completely unconnected and isolated internally? If so, I could send signals from pin 4 straight through the pin 5 pad, and likewise the signal from pin 7 straight through pin 6. Here's the part drawing, and the full datasheet is linked below.

https://www.components.omron.com/components/web/pdflib.nsf/0/DB3627D7D8BCAFF485257201007DD587/$file/G6H_0609.pdf

R.G.

Quote from: Beo on April 21, 2015, 10:43:41 PM
Maybe a dumb question. I'm trying to tighten up a pcb layout, and I'm wrapping traces around the unused pin 5 and 6.
Think these are completely unconnected and isolated internally? If so, I could send signals from pin 4 straight through the pin 5 pad, and likewise the signal from pin 7 straight through pin 6. Here's the part drawing, and the full datasheet is linked below.
(1) does the datasheet explicitly say that pins 5 and 6 are internally unconnected?
If not, they may be not connected on one batch of relays, connected on the next. Sadly, you have to be suspicious of datasheets saying things like N/C or just not saying anything about a pin. "N/C" may mean "we have no internal connections to these pins, so knock yourself out using them". Or it may mean "we secretly use these for arcane tests in manufacturing, and if you connect anything to them the warranty is void."
(2) even of the datasheet says they're unconnected, and *especially* if it simply doesn't mention them at all, you're betting the full cost of your PCBs that you guessed right. I personally would find other places to tighten up.

But that's just me: paranoid and stingy.   :icon_lol:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Beo

Thanks RG. It felt like a bad idea.
10 pins are awkward as well... if I want to work in a socket, 14 pin is more common, eating up more real estate.

mth5044

Why not just nip the pins off the relay? If I understood your post right, you want to clean up a layout/make a trace shorter by going through the two 'unused' pins. Just make your PCB footprint without pads for those pins, clip them off the relay and install.

bluebunny

Quote from: mth5044 on April 22, 2015, 01:43:23 AM
Why not just nip the pins off the relay?

Just what I was thinking.  And then I scrolled down and found that Matt got there much quicker than me!  :)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...