Tisdale Buffer

Started by karbomusic, April 24, 2015, 09:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karbomusic

Designed this week, thought I'd share.

- 1 input, 3 buffered outputs.

- 6 selectable input impedances.

- Phase/polarity invert switch for each output.

Sometimes I might want to purposely load the signal down some hence the reason I go so low on the impedance. Make them any value you wish; if you don't want it selectable, just install 1 resistor of choice and jumper it instead of using a switch. Work in progress but as of last night works great. Boxing up this weekend. My main use is for going to multiple amps and/or recording aka two mic'd amps + an additional clean signal going into the DAW. Input cap is oversized in the schematic because I was possibly going to use it for more than guitar so reduce accordingly if needed.

It's a double-sided layout. Since most here don't build those I didn't post a printable version but will do so if anyone is interested and wants one. Double-sided was much easier than I thought although it did take a little bit of thinking (and cheating  ;)).

italianguy63

Kary-- excuse my ignorance.  But what software are you using there for your schematics/PCB/CAD?

I'm using freeware-Eagle, and beginning to think I need a little "more.."

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

karbomusic

Quote from: italianguy63 on April 24, 2015, 09:31:40 AM
Kary-- excuse my ignorance.  But what software are you using there for your schematics/PCB/CAD?

I'm using freeware-Eagle, and beginning to think I need a little "more.."

MC

No worries Mark... It's the freeware Eagle 7.2.

italianguy63

I'm using 6.5 I think... I want to be able to do those "ground-plane" type foils...
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

karbomusic

Quote from: italianguy63 on April 24, 2015, 09:38:38 AM
I'm using 6.5 I think... I want to be able to do those "ground-plane" type foils...

Should be able to do that in 6.5. Just create a polygon the size of the PCB then right-click > name > GND, click the rats nest button and voila. :) Just be sure to then right-click the polygon and set its isolation to something like .016 or .024 or whatever distance works best for you.

italianguy63

OK-- I will try when I get a chance.. I still do my traces pretty "angular"-- at like 45's... not rounded or miandering... yet.

I get by.  But, I would like to "fill" the unused space sometimes, and was wondering how it was done.  Your work looks stellar!

MC

karbomusic

Quote from: italianguy63 on April 24, 2015, 09:43:44 AM
Your work looks stellar!

MC

Much of that is owed to all of you guys so thanks!   :)

mth5044

Quote from: karbomusic on April 24, 2015, 09:39:58 AM

Should be able to do that in 6.5. Just create a polygon the size of the PCB then right-click > name > GND, click the rats nest button and voila. :) Just be sure to then right-click the polygon and set its isolation to something like .016 or .024 or whatever distance works best for you.

Sometimes you have to use the name tool to change it as EAGLE may tell you there is already a path by that name.

Nicely done, though! That self etched double sided board looks awesome. How did you line up the sides?

karbomusic

Nicely done, though! That self etched double sided board looks awesome. How did you line up the sides?

I mirrored top/bottom with a little distance between them, then drew a vertical line at the "fold point":

Then after printing on PnP I carefully folded exactly on that vertical line but also held it up to a bright light to make sure the top and bottom holes were perfectly aligned. Used a wooden dowel to commit the fold, double checked alignment by holding up to the light then slid it over the double-sided PCB and tossed into a small t-shirt press. I can say I was very nervous when I drilled that first top hole to see if it actually hit the corresponding bottom hole. I also cheated some as there are no vias, I'll share that later. Maybe better stated that I shared the vias with the component holes.

mth5044

Nice idea!

Vias wouldn't make too much sense... You have to just solder in a tiny jump. Makes must more sense to use compnents as the conduit between two sides like you did.

duck_arse

karbo - nice work. if you hard wire the 10M impedance setter, and then switch the selected in parallel with it, you can SAVE yourself one wire to the switch, and your DC's won't lurch with each switch klik.

and if you print yourself a pair/quartet of targets outside the bounds of your board on your layout, when you fold you'll be able to align through paper/p'n'p instead of through copper clad (twice).
don't make me draw another line.

karbomusic

Quote from: duck_arse on April 24, 2015, 11:18:21 AM
karbo - nice work. if you hard wire the 10M impedance setter, and then switch the selected in parallel with it, you can SAVE yourself one wire to the switch, and your DC's won't lurch with each switch klik.

Yep, I was lying in bed last night thinking of all the ways I could reduce it some including a few other tricks between parallel/series combos. Thanks for the idea.

and if you print yourself a pair/quartet of targets outside the bounds of your board on your layout, when you fold you'll be able to align through paper/p'n'p instead of through copper clad (twice).

Good point. I could also Pre drill four component holes in the existing PCB on one side and then use those holes to align the other side but I didn't do that here because I was able to do it in a single step with the t-shirt press, aka one heating for 90 seconds did both sides simultaneously (actually I flipped it but the first heating made the bottom stick enough to keep the registration). I literally slid it over the PCB and clamped it in the press without any alignment post fold.

If I can repeat this consistently I'll do it much more, the savings in PCB size is just too great to ignore.

italianguy63

I get an "invalid Polygon"...  Maybe we can PM

karbomusic

Quote from: italianguy63 on April 24, 2015, 11:36:06 AM

I get an "invalid Polygon"...  Maybe we can PM

By all means, PM as needed or I'll do you a video or something... you want to make it the size of the PCB with a final click to connect back to the starting point.

karbomusic

If this doesn't help, feel free to PM etc.

wavley

Quote from: italianguy63 on April 24, 2015, 11:36:06 AM

I get an "invalid Polygon"...  Maybe we can PM

I'm using 7.1 and I use ground pours all the time, microwave work demands it, but I did them in 5.4 too so maybe it a setting in your design rules or something.  Of course while I'm ok at using Eagle, I have to ask a guy here at work how to fix it when it goes wrong, so I'm not the greatest guy to help troubleshoot for you.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

italianguy63

I finally got it to take.  How absolutely awesome!  Thank you gentlemen!!  MC

karbomusic

Quote from: italianguy63 on April 24, 2015, 02:10:39 PM
I finally got it to take.  How absolutely awesome!  Thank you gentlemen!!  MC

Suuhhweeet!

italianguy63

Who says an old dog can't learn new tricks!!   ;D ;D ;D

anotherjim

Neat work.

May I ask why the name "Tisdale"?

Oh, and here's an Invalid Poly gone