Horowitz & Hill "The Art Of Electronics" - there is now a revised/updated 3rd Ed

Started by tubegeek, April 25, 2015, 02:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubegeek

I know that for many of us, Horowitz & Hill's "The Art Of Electronics" has been an important resource.

I just wanted to let everyone know that a new 3rd Edition has just come out. I was able to get a courtesy copy from the publisher and it just arrived today.

I am kinda stoked to see what the new version has to offer - this is gonna be BIG!

It's gold instead of silver.

Here's a discrete/monolithic opamp hybrid circuit just to get everybody all excited.
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

PRR

> Here's a discrete/monolithic opamp hybrid circuit

Perhaps that was not in the 1st edition; but it pretty-much could have been.

(SK389 may not be as old as the 1st, but the J310 will do the deed and is older than the 1st.)

> It's gold instead of silver.

Groovy. Love gold trim. That will look good in my library, next to these:
  • SUPPORTER

tubegeek

You have a hard copy of MPSE?! Wow! Where did you find THAT one?

It's available as a free download from AMPAS web site and it's a pretty cool book. An ur-text for sure. I would LOVE to have one of my own - if you ever see another one, grab it, OK?

https://www.oscars.org/science-technology/sci-tech-projects/motion-picture-sound-engineering
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

garcho

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

PRR

> MPSE?! Wow! Where did you find THAT one?

?? ABE.

Decent copies go for $25, though today the only lowball offers are from Australia and the UK, so $40-$60 in your hand.

If you read it through, it is pretty spotty. Every section a different author. Some know their stuff AND can explain it to a novice; others less-so. Some very superficial and some too-deep coverage. But you see where many of the Classic Illustrations come from.

Water Supply and Sewerage is more consistently written and has been much more useful here. While it is mostly about city-size systems, the basics are true on small scale. And lots of beautifully clear writing. Aimed to include operators far from the nearest A&M school (without writing-down), this also means it survives technology changes well. Some of MPSE you can't figure-out why they did it that way, historical context has been lost.

For your work/avocation, I hope you have Helmholtz. Dover reprints flood the market and are very worth having. But I came across a 1880s printing with the paisley/marbled endpapers.
  • SUPPORTER