Proxxon mini drill press

Started by armdnrdy, April 25, 2015, 09:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armdnrdy

I'm about to pull the trigger on a mini drill press.

For several years, I have been using a Dremel with the drill press attachment.
I've made due but...to be honest...this thing is about as stable as a bowl of Jell-O during an earthquake!
I have to admit...the Dremel is better than a rock and a stick but...it's definitely time to upgrade.

I followed a post from last year where R.G. mentioned, and provided a link to the Microlux 3-speed mini drill press.
I was eyeballing that model until I discovered the MicroLux Benchtop Variable Speed Mini Hobby Drill Press.

While searching online for MicroLux reviews...I found a thread comparing Proxxon to MicroLux.

The general consensus was.....the Proxxon was a better quality, more precision tool.

http://www.proxxon.com/us/micromot/38128.php

Are there any Proxxon Bench drill press users out there? If so what are your thoughts.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

karbomusic

I have Proxxon's lower end table saw for cutting PCBs. Works great for that purpose. I'd be interested in the drill press as well since I'd like to upgrade the Dremel for PCBs and pilot holes etc.

armdnrdy

Looked around on the net a little more...there is a general belief that Proxxon and MicroLux are one and the same but....nothing definitive.

Similarities:
The physical designs are identical except for the paint color, on/off switch, and depth gauge knobs.

Differences:
Proxxon drill press TBM115: $247.50
Spindle speeds: 1800, 4700, and 8500 rpm
85W motor
6 steel collets included 1/32", 1/16" 5/64", 3/32", 7/64", and 1/8"
(1/64" to 1/4" chuck is sold separately)

MicroLux 3-speed drill press $199.95
Spindle speeds: 2100, 4500, and 6500 rpm
90W motor
1/64" to 1/4" chuck & key included

Proxxon:

MicroLux:

Edit: The drill press vise depicted on the Proxxon image is sold separately.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

brndnu

That vice is pretty nice. I have trouble getting holes lined up perfectly on my drill press.

armdnrdy

Yep! I have already planned to get the vise.

Another nice feature is the sliding gauge for drilling in line holes. (as depicted in the MicroLux image.)

The gauge fits in the slot and allows you to move the board forward and backward....keeping your work steady.

You can also move side to side along the gauge.

karbomusic

Quote from: armdnrdy on April 27, 2015, 01:28:17 PM
Yep! I have already planned to get the vise.

Another nice feature is the sliding gauge for drilling in line holes. (as depicted in the MicroLux image.)

The gauge fits in the slot and allows you to move the board forward and backward....keeping your work steady.

You can also move side to side along the gauge.

Stop that! I'm tired of spending money already. :)

armdnrdy

Quote from: karbomusic on April 27, 2015, 03:56:22 PM
Stop that! I'm tired of spending money already. :)

There are less expensive alternatives!  ;D

armdnrdy

Well....I ended up going with the Microlux 3 speed...and threw in the vise for good measure.

After I unpacked the press...I was impressed to find that the chuck included is a Jacobs chuck.

There was very little to the assembly...screw in the handle, screw on the chuck, adjust the motor unit height on the column.

I also adjusted the motor speed to max by removing the top cover, (a knurled thumb screw) and changing the belt position on the pulley.

After powering it up to be sure that everything was in place, I decided to take it for a "test drive."

I grabbed a scrap piece of FR-4, and one of the smallest drill bits that I commonly use, (.028") and proceeded to "pop" about twenty-five hole in it.

No wobble at the drill bit, no play at the spindle...perfect holes!

I anticipate purchasing a lot less carbide drill bits. The Dremel Press I was using had so much play...it was notorious for snapping bits!

If you are looking to purchase your first drill press or looking for an upgrade...I would advise making the investment!

karbomusic

Me want. I already have a bigger drill press for enclosures and my dremmel for PCBs. This would be a nice addition and free up a dremmel but it's 2.5 times more expensive than my big press. Not a big issue, just realizing I need to justify it well first.

R.G.

I think you'll be very happy with it. After years of getting by with a dremel and other alternatives, the Microlux was like cream and sugar instead of chalk on a blackboard, to mix a few metaphors.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

CodeMonk

ON topic, sort of, has anyone seen an vise that moves on a X Y Axis suitable for a small drill, at a reasonable cost for course?

BTW, this is my drill press : http://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-5-speed-bench-drill-press-60238.html

My funds are extremely limited.

Edit:
Actually, mine drill is an older model without the gooseneck light.

armdnrdy

Quote from: CodeMonk on May 14, 2015, 10:59:30 AM
ON topic, has anyone seen an vise that moves on a X y Axis suitable for a small drill, at a reasonable cost for course?

BTW, this is my drill press : http://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-5-speed-bench-drill-press-60238.html

Quick search brought up this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-in-rugged-cast-iron-drill-press-milling-vise-69159.html

Everything else seems to be over $100.00

armdnrdy

Quote from: R.G. on May 14, 2015, 09:21:37 AM
I think you'll be very happy with it. After years of getting by with a dremel and other alternatives, the Microlux was like cream and sugar instead of chalk on a blackboard, to mix a few metaphors.

Thanks for the heads up on this one! Drilling holes in PC boards isn't exactly my favorite part of the whole stompbox building process. Maybe it will be a bit more tolerable with the proper tool!

amptramp

Quote from: armdnrdy on May 14, 2015, 11:30:22 AM
ON topic, has anyone seen an vise that moves on a X y Axis suitable for a small drill, at a reasonable cost for course?

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-in-rugged-cast-iron-drill-press-milling-vise-69159.html

The ratings (2.5 stars out of 5) and reviews on this do not seem to be that good.

armdnrdy

There's always ebay....but....who knows what quality (or lack there of) these things are. I usually check out the options, weed out what I don't really need, and then purchase the mid priced item.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/x-y-vise

CodeMonk

Quote from: amptramp on May 14, 2015, 12:56:10 PM
Quote from: armdnrdy on May 14, 2015, 11:30:22 AM

The ratings (2.5 stars out of 5) and reviews on this do not seem to be that good.

HAHAHAH
I love the first review on that one:
QuoteBEST USES
Home use (4)
Boat anchor (3)

I was in harbor freight just the other day picking up a few drill bits, dust mask, extra belts for my new belt sander (original belt is still fine, I just like to have spares around) and some other random stuff.
At least I got a free set of cheap screwdrivers out of the deal.
I already used one of them to open a can of varathane and it didn't break.
Harbor freight has some great stuff
They also have some real crappy stuff.

I probably should give an old machinist friend of mine a call.
He's a top notch machinist/mechanic and really knows his stuff.
One of the smartest and most talented machinists I have ever known.
I mean the guy is REALLY REALLY good. And one hell of a great welder as well.
And a damn nice guy as well.
Has his own business called "Felony Fabrication"

Edit:
Just called him and got voice mail. Hopefully he calls me back soon.

Edit2:
BTW, I got this cheap ass drill vise: http://www.harborfreight.com/2-3-4-quarter-inch-articulated-vacuum-vise-3311.html
But it has a nice feature.
I removed the base and screwed it into a (so far) flat piece of particle board.
Then I removed the rubber jaw pieces, which gives me this:

Nice grooves in the jaws perfect for holding a PCB nice and level and steady.
The material below it is insulation from an old refrigerated trailer, with a small piece off regular wall panelling and a thin strip of formica.
Its a hard foam type material, I forget the exact name...Poly something or other to keep the board from flexing when applying drilling pressure.

armdnrdy

I finally found the time to put my new Microlux 3 speed mini drill press into service.

Instead of drilling a small board...I decided to complete one of my projects that had been looming....the four MN3008 version Maxon AD-900 delay with tails.

Not including the four large holes for mounting the board, there are two drill sizes used. #70 (.028") and #65 (.035")

R.G.s description "the Microlux was like cream and sugar" definitely applied here! The action of the press was very smooth and accurate, and I did not break one carbide drill bit! I don't believe that I have ever made it through a board this size without breaking a drill bit with the Dremel. There were boards I've drilled where I had broken several drill bits!

I know that there are probably more expensive mini drill presses on the market but...the Microlux definitely gets the job done!

peterc

Jdansti

Edit:
Actually, mine drill is an older model without the gooseneck light.

My funds are limited too. I've got the same press but with the light. Combined with HF cheap step bits, it's fine for drilling enclosures, although once or twice I've had to rotate the head 90 deg. to accomodate larger pieces and longer bits. I'm still using the Dremel press for inaccurate PCB hole drilling. I've used the larger press for PCBs, but it seems a bit overkill.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

vigilante397

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com