What kind of switch is this, and could I use something else?

Started by Hav, April 27, 2015, 07:36:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hav

Hi,

Need a bit of help here, I have a switch that needs repairing. It only has an 'On and Off' selection, but I cant seem to find a similar switch with 6 poles... there are all the standard ones with either 2 or 3 poles.

http://havsingh.com/Guitar/WhatIsThis/IMG_3898.JPG

http://havsingh.com/Guitar/WhatIsThis/IMG_3895.JPG

It says 3a 250v on the side too.

is this the right thing:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/dpdt-toggle-switch-fh39n

Thank you in advance!

antonis

Although your original switch is DPDT On-On, it's wired as On-Off so you can use the one with the on-off plate..

(or any DPST toggle switch..)

edit: I'm not sure if there is a short-circuit between the 2 other lugs but, if so, then you have to use a DPDT ON-ON switch... :icon_wink: 
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

bluebunny

Your picture doesn't show a "6-pole" switch.  It's a DPDT - two (dual) poles, dual throw.  It has six terminals.  Think of it as two switches in one unit, each of which switches either "here" or "there".

The Maplin piece you reference is OK electronically, but it's physically much bigger than the one in your picture.  If you're really, really constrained to shop at Maplin, then this might be better.  BTW, ignore the 3A/250V markings - you're not switching mains (at least, I hope you're not switching mains!).
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

antonis

Mark, I edited the previous post because I think (can't see clear enough..) that there is a short-circuit at the "unused" lugs...
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Hav

Thanks so much for the swift replies. The short on the unused poles are intentional. It's how I pulled it out the box... Popping down to maplin now (bit of a rush to get it solved otherwise would order online).

Hav

Quote from: antonis on April 27, 2015, 08:05:41 AM
Although your original switch is DPDT On-On, it's wired as On-Off so you can use the one with the on-off plate..

(or any DPST toggle switch..)

edit: I'm not sure if there is a short-circuit between the 2 other lugs but, if so, then you have to use a DPDT ON-ON switch... :icon_wink: 

Oh does this mean I can't buy an on - off switch?

antonis

Quote from: Hav on April 27, 2015, 08:42:43 AM
Oh does this mean I can't buy an on - off switch?

Only if the unused lugs were used...

(in reality, most of the ON-OFF switches are ON-ON with one of edge lug cut..) :icon_wink:

induction

Just to clarify what antonis said, if the 'unused' lugs are shorted, they're not really unused. It looks like it's wired is a normal bypass switch without input grounding. In one position the input jack goes to the circuit input and the output jack goes to the circuit output. In the other position, the input jack input goes to the output jack. If this is the case, then no, you can't use a DPST (on-off switch), you must use a DPDT on/on switch.

Note: Without a schematic, the above is just a guess. If the switch only has two positions, then it's probably correct. If the switch has 3 positions, then it's definitely not correct. The latter is unlikely, but not impossible. (Edit: Just noticed you said, "It only has an 'On and Off' selection") so I assume that means it's a two position switch. So a DPDT is the way to go.)

Hav

Ah that's fab. I bought the switch as suggested above. Thank you all for your help in the theory behind it too