It's alive! My first breadboard pedal (Small Bear)

Started by roswell, April 27, 2015, 02:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roswell

Decided to try the SB rangemaster breadboard project before tackling the GGG rangemaster. Spent a couple hours putting this together after work Sat. night and was only getting  a reading of 0.35V. Frustrating because I was SURE I'd put it together correctly. Came back to it this morning with a clear head, swapped the 470K and Rb resistors and voila - 7V on the button. Sounds incredible and I can't believe how quiet it is, even without using the shielded wires for the jacks as the instructions recommended. I'm playing a '76 Vibro Champ and this pedal really lights it up, it's not just a sound difference but a feel difference, the strings almost seem to be bristling under my fingers. Great stuff.

This is my first one and I almost don't want to take it off the breadboard :) I'll need a bigger one anyway as this project barely fit; I had to shift everything left because I ran out of room.

midwayfair

Congrats! And good on you for starting with a breadboard instead of diving right in with a complicated project -- too many of us skip that vital learning tool when we first start building.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

karbomusic

That's a great feeling, congrats. I still remember my first (fuzz face) it was on the BB for a couple days not working because I didn't properly understand breadboard pin outs. However, when it worked, it was a great feeling!

smallbearelec

Congratulations! When you get a chance, try adding the tone control pot and cap on the input; you get a very wide range of subtle differences for almost no $. Yea, those old Sylvania devices are remarkably good in the RM when combined as a Darlington stage. You could not do that economically back in the day, because these were expensive parts at the time!

Regards
SD

garcho

Go Team Breadboard! You'll definitely want to get a bigger one :)
Also, if you haven't, think about drawing out the breadboard on paper and draw in the components first, then populate the board. You'll catch a lot of mistakes on paper that you wouldn't have diving straight in. Also, it's way easier to cram everything in that way. You can breadboard a flanger or delay, no problem. And, making those breadboard diagrams is a skill that comes in handy when you start making your own boards.

Speaking of, look for "protoboards" when it's time to solder. They're like a breadboard and perf mixed together. I'd skip vero, IMO it's way too much work and way too susceptible to errors. Anyway, enjoy the new addiction, may it lead to many happy hours of playing music!
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

duck_arse

nice one! although, that orange clippy thing looks angry.

you can save heaps of bb territory if you run supply along the "top" bus rail, and 0V along the "bottom" bus rail, with your circuit strung between the 2. less chances of shorts, fewer up and backs, more room for more transistors.
don't make me draw another line.

deadastronaut

whoohooo.. a great feeling when it works eh.. 8)

i love breading..lots of tweaks...lots of fun to be had 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

diydave

QuoteI almost don't want to take it off the breadboard
Yeah, 2 breadboards stuffed with 3 different circuits on mine today... really have to make some time to box things up.

Or by some more breadboards  :D

roswell

Thanks you guys! Appreciate the support. This one wasn't too hard in that Steve provides step by step photos, but I'm still having trouble translating what's on the breadboard with the schematic. If I look at it long enough it'll click.

Cozybuilder

I'm always amazed to read about someone building something but not breadboarding it first, then running into problems they could have resolved easily with parts swaps etc on the breadboard. Glad to see you are on the right track here, very tidy, and congratulations on getting it to work.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

graylensman

Quote from: roswell on April 29, 2015, 09:37:55 AM
... I'm still having trouble translating what's on the breadboard with the schematic. If I look at it long enough it'll click.

Once I got smart and started using a breadboard, schematics really became clear to me. If you're not sure how the components on the breadboard relate to the schem, I suggest this: clear out the breadboard, and start from scratch, populating the breadboard as you read the schem. You'll soon figure out how it all relates. Sure, stuff may not work, but that's the joy of the breadboard: it's easy to do and undo and backtrack.

And as others have noted, you can swap out components to see how the sound changes. Be careful, though: that can lead to Mad Scientist Syndrome, where you become consumed with playing with variations and nothing gets off the breadboard and into enclosures.   ;D

Brisance

Quote from: graylensman on April 30, 2015, 08:27:31 AM
but that's the joy of the breadboard: it's easy to do and undo and backtrack.
one side note though, MIND THE PINOUTS. I had a 386 melt straight into the breadboard by hooking up the supply the wrong way.

duck_arse

Quote from: Brisance on April 30, 2015, 08:35:49 AM
but that's the joy of the breadboard: it's easy to do and undo and backtrack.
one side note though, MIND THE PINOUTS. I had a 386 melt straight into the breadboard by hooking up the supply the wrong way.

we MUST have a photo of this. please. there's people in need of profile pics .....
don't make me draw another line.

Brisance

- cropped from an image I took of it to remember the layout. Will get a better shot next time I'm in the workshop.

roswell

Quote from: roswell on April 29, 2015, 09:37:55 AM
... I'm still having trouble translating what's on the breadboard with the schematic. If I look at it long enough it'll click.

Once I got smart and started using a breadboard, schematics really became clear to me. If you're not sure how the components on the breadboard relate to the schem, I suggest this: clear out the breadboard, and start from scratch, populating the breadboard as you read the schem. You'll soon figure out how it all relates. Sure, stuff may not work, but that's the joy of the breadboard: it's easy to do and undo and backtrack.

And as others have noted, you can swap out components to see how the sound changes. Be careful, though: that can lead to Mad Scientist Syndrome, where you become consumed with playing with variations and nothing gets off the breadboard and into enclosures.   ;D

Thanks, I'll do this. I'll HAVE to do it, unless all schematics come with step by step breadboard build instructions + photos that nobody told me about ;)

I hate to take it apart as it sounds so damn good, but it's the only way I'll learn. Guess I'll need to buy another board. Steve you'll be seeing another order from me real soon lol

graylensman

Quote from: roswell on April 30, 2015, 02:45:25 PM
I hate to take it apart as it sounds so damn good, but it's the only way I'll learn. Guess I'll need to buy another board. Steve you'll be seeing another order from me real soon lol

The other tip I learned: buy two of everything. Breadboard with the first batch, and then as you solder the second batch to the perfboard, you have a guide at hand. 

smallbearelec

Quote from: roswell on April 30, 2015, 02:45:25 PM
I hate to take it apart as it sounds so damn good, but it's the only way I'll learn. Guess I'll need to buy another board.
Suggestions:
--Someone suggested re-doing the breadboard build and very carefully following the schem as you make each connection; yes, absolutely! Doing that should help to make clear the relationship between schem and physical layout.

--If you like what you have on the breadboard and want to be able to be able to try gigging with it, consider making an Idea Box:
http://diy.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/IdeaBoxAndBoard/IdeaBox.
I have found this an extremely useful tool, it's not expensive, and the parts are almost all standard.

--Now that you have proven a design on the breadboard, you can think about executing it in perf or PCB:
http://diy.smallbearelec.com/Projects/OhMyDarlingRM/OhMyDarling.htm
Don't let the number of possible choices scare you. If you have questions about what kind of build would be appropriate for your comfort level, drop a message to the smallbearelec address.

Good job so far!

Regards
SD

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

breadboarding is great, but it's important to know it's limits. Special care must be taken with heavy components like jacks so that they don't disconnect.
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

garcho

^ good to have a little breadboard station for off-board stuff, as well as a little shielding.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

karbomusic

Worked out better for me to just build a few guitar (or other I/O) cables with bread board pins on one end.