DI Box powering

Started by juan_felt, April 28, 2015, 03:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juan_felt

Hello!!

I'm going to build this DI Box (it is supposed to be the boss DI box), but I can't figure out how to power it up.

http://www.hh.iij4u.or.jp/~tokumi/pict/di-1.GIF

Is it powered by phantom (the zener diode ZD1 with D1 do this?)? I know the Boss one can be powered with a 9v battery, so, If I wanted to do it with this one, where should I hook up the battery/dc jack.

Thanks a lot!

Mike Burgundy

I'd say where the diodes meet: V+
Include a switch to choose which you'll use, or the battery and phantom will fight and that's not good. :icon_razz:

ashcat_lt

Quote from: Mike Burgundy on April 28, 2015, 04:10:33 PM
Include a switch to choose which you'll use, or the battery and phantom will fight and that's not good. :icon_razz:
Or put a diode in series with battery.  Maybe a Shottkey for the lest voltage drop.

Or use a rechargeable battery.  ;)

PRR

> Is it powered by phantom

Yes.

A Phantom-power mike input puts voltage on those pins. This DI takes the power through the two 3.3K resistors, through diode, to "V+", limited by ZD1.
  • SUPPORTER

Seljer

If you don't need phantom power you can drop R12, R13 as well as D1 and ZD1 in that schematic. Interface your battery/DC jack directly to V+.

Quote from: ashcat_lt on April 28, 2015, 06:49:42 PM
Quote from: Mike Burgundy on April 28, 2015, 04:10:33 PM
Or put a diode in series with battery.  Maybe a Shottkey for the lest voltage drop.

Or use a rechargeable battery.  ;)

I added the switch between phantom/battery on my DI box. That way if it i set it "phantom" the battery if effectively disconnected so it doesn't ever drain itself.

juan_felt

Thanks for all the replies!

One last question, will a single 9V battery supply enough power for this?

Again, thanks a lot! :D