Jet City JCA20H

Started by J0K3RX, May 02, 2015, 11:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J0K3RX

Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

mth5044

deadastronaut

No delivery to Uk...but the price is Gbp.. ???

looks like a bargain though.. :icon_twisted:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

mth5044

Wait wasn't it the deal of the day yesterday? It's still the same price today

J0K3RX

I broke and got one.. Let the modding begin  :icon_twisted:  anybody have any good mods?

AdamM

Plenty of mods on the web - there's a few dedicated forums for the Jet City amps.

they're chinese made Soldano designs - so the basic circuits are ok. I have the JCA22H - same as the JCA20 but with an overdrive channel and fx loop added. The second channel is basically from a Soldano SLO100, and the loop is tube.

First thing I did with mine was pull the chinese EL84's (which redplated at ~6W plate dissipation) and put in a pair of Ei EL84's - then I replaced the first two of the 5 12AX84's with JJ 5751's. Basically it has way too much gain for me - I don't use the SLO channel, and run the "clean" channel no higher than 10 o'clock.

So ultimately, its a good amp, with plenty of scope for improvement. My main gripes would be the excessive gain, and it can get a bit harsh.

vigilante397

The store I work in is a Jet City dealer and we have carried the JCA20 combo. The stock Chinese no-name tubes aren't terrible sounding, but one of our floor models had been around for a while so we swapped out all the tubes with a matched set of JJ/Teslas and it sounded significantly better.

One negative experience I had with a Jet City amp was one that a customer bought and plugged into a gas-powered generator at an outdoor gig, causing the amp to promptly have a fit and causing the repairman (myself) to start a thread on this forum dedicated to its repair :P
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

J0K3RX

Yeah, really can't fault the amp for some knee slappin yahoo pluggin it into a gas generator...  :icon_rolleyes:   Too much gain will not be an issue for me since there really is no such a thing in my world..  :icon_twisted:

I have seen most of the forums and and sites dedicated to these and that was what lured me into getting one, that and the youtube videos and the fact that it was the price of an average stompbox  didn't hurt either... I mainly wanted it to experiment with, I have a 5150 that I tinker with from time to time but there is too much going on inside that thing. This seems to be very "mod friendly" and the quality is not bad at all considering the price! I may just try my own mods since most that I have seen/heard are relatively the same or very similar. Not that they don't sound good because they do and some sound incredible even, I just want to try some different stuff.. I really like the sound of the Driftwood Purple Nightmare or the Silverblade Hellhound 20.  :icon_twisted:

J0K3RX

Jet City announced "build your own amp kits" with instructional video back in November 2013... Guess they had 2nd thoughts.. :(

https://www.facebook.com/jetcityamplification/photos/a.145028707528.109746.101733997528/10151902399177529/?type=1

deadastronaut

^ shame, i'd have liked that... :)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Derringer

here are the supposed mods for the doomy sounding one in the above clip

R21 - 47K
R32 - 6k8
R44 - 330K

C15 - 0.1 UF
C23 - REMOVE

Bass pot - 1M linear
Vintage/Modern pot - 100K linear
Depth - 1M linear

vigilante397

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Korni

Quote from: Derringer on May 10, 2015, 10:51:09 AM
here are the supposed mods for the doomy sounding one in the above clip

R21 - 47K
R32 - 6k8
R44 - 330K

C15 - 0.1 UF
C23 - REMOVE

Bass pot - 1M linear
Vintage/Modern pot - 100K linear
Depth - 1M linear

Do you happen to know a bit more about this mod? Is this legit?
From what I've seen, R21 - 47K is stock, and the rest doesn't look like will make that much of a change to transform it into doomy amp from the clip.

I'd love to turn my JCA20HV more into this sort of sound but I'm not sure how to go about it... Any help would be appreciated  ;)