capacitor question

Started by LightSoundGeometry, May 03, 2015, 01:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LightSoundGeometry

I got some old phillips  axial caps 4u7 63v and they are reading out on my chinese thingy as two diodes  uf3.37 2.84 v or am I reading it wrong?

doesnt NPn transistors work like this to, read out as a diode sometimes like 7.2ma or something or is my tester messed up

GibsonGM

You sure it's "uf" and not "Vf"?   I'd expect the 'uF', microfarads, and if they're old and 'large tolerance', 3.37 might be 'right' (altho only 50% of what they're supposed to be..).   Age? 

Don't know why you are getting a 'forward voltage drop', LOL; shouldn't.   I have one of these things, they usually work pretty well but you have to keep an eye out for nonsense results like this - maybe the socket is dirty or something.   Yes,  a NPN would be 2 diodes - my unit shows it as a transistor if it's good, 2 'weirdly connected diodes' if a bad connection or dirty terminals.   

Try cleaning the terminals with alcohol and a Q tip.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

antonis

Discharge them and try to measure their Resistance...

It should be sequential rising from a couple of hundred Ohms (depenting on disharge degree..) to infinite - tester leads with right polarity... :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

LightSoundGeometry

ohms started anywhere from 9 meg to .2 meg and dropped in sequence

I think they are just old and bad possibly

R.G.

It's always educational to know what old/abused components look like electronically.

However, it's poor economy to use old electrolytic caps for anything. Electrolytic caps decay just sitting there. Putting old ones in new builds ensures a lot of time puzzling about why the devil this thing stopped working.

What's a chinese thingy? They invented gunpowder, fireworks, rockets, paper and many other things. Is a chinese thingy one of these?   :icon_lol:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

LightSoundGeometry

a chinese thingy is a poor mans peak atlas :)

or similar