Can I clip this tab off the pot?

Started by suncrush, May 04, 2015, 08:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suncrush

See that tab, on the right side of the pot?  That keeps it from sitting flush against the top of the enclosure.

I thought I had read somewhere that it can be clipped off.  If so, what tool should I use?  Will wire cutters be up to the task?

mcknib

Just use a pair of long / needle nosed pliers grip it firmly and snap it off in a sideways motion they come off very easily

suncrush

Tony Forestiere

On a rotary, I would use the tab for the intended purpose and drill the hole. On a pot, snap it off at your discretion. Some forum members save the tabs to slip down a slotted pot shaft as a wedge to use knobs with setscrews without crushing the shafts.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

MrBinns

>Some forum members save the tabs to slip down a slotted pot shaft as a wedge to use knobs with setscrews without crushing the shafts

good idea

jim68000

That is a good idea: I've been clipping Fender Medium guitar picks to achieve the same thing, dunno why I didn't think of the thing that was in front of me all along...