Man...i hate waiting for lacquer to cure.............

Started by plexi12000, May 05, 2015, 01:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plexi12000

is there any such thing as a lacquer that doesn't take a century to dry?!? lol  i put ten coats of clear on a box three weeks ago....it's still soft.  BAAH!

graylensman

I don't know about fast-drying lacquer, but I have read of builders using toaster ovens (set on low temps) to speed up drying times.

Cozybuilder

I use a 60W incandescent bulb to heat an old range to cure painted parts in, makes a great hot-box.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

karbomusic

Sounds like the coats are too thick.

The topmost coat basically functions as a paint can lid on the underlying coats IE: it'll never dry or not anytime soon as it creates the same conditions as being inside the paint can. It's one of the first lessons I learned and baking it doesn't even help. You'll want to apply a painfully thin coat, wait 1-2 minutes, repeat. That's the way to do lots of coats and each one pretty much dries before the next one is applied. Then it should cure within 24 hours or so (see the can instructions) and likely functionally dry within an hour. Of the lacquer ones I do, I'm assembling the box an hour later.

To drive the point home, here is where I learned that lesson... This is three days after painting (too thick), I had leaned down and put my thumb on it (even after baking for an hour when I painted it) three days later and the underlying paint was completely wet... It felt dry to the touch and I had been handling it for two days and I had no idea it was still wet underneath.

If you did all the above, then I don't know what to say. :)

GibsonGM

Might need this - DO NOT breathe the fumes!!!!  :(    

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

karbomusic

I love this...

"Lacquer Thinner"

Description: "Thins Lacquer"

:icon_mrgreen:

Ice-9

Use 2k Lacquer, if you paint enough stompboxes it is worth investing in a small compressor and spray gun. 2K or 2 part lacquer can cure very quickly. I paint motorcycle parts now and again and by using wet on wet you can prep, prime, basecoat, and lacquer in an hour or so. An inexpensive IR light will cure the lacquer ready to polish the same day. without the light 24 hours is enough.

Cellulose rattle can lacquer should go off quickly also. but the epoxy and brush on stuff can take forever.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Mark Hammer

Multiple thin coats, heat cured.  Some clear lacquers will yellow if the heat level is too high, so manage your thermostat well if you go for a toaster oven.  Bulb heat is probably a sensible strategy if you're new to it.  Now that summer is here for us non-Aussies/Kiwis, you can let things cure out on the balcony or in the garage, where the stench won't be too strong.

LightSoundGeometry

davent

Sure it's lacquer, susequent coats normally dissolve/melt  into the coats already on. Muliple thin coats with lacquer.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Govmnt_Lacky

I have always found that Lacquer paints dry super quick!

Its the Enamel paints that take eons to dry...  :-\
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

italianguy63

Quote from: GibsonGM on May 05, 2015, 02:31:41 PM
Might need this - DO NOT breathe the fumes!!!!  :(    

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAA!!!

That is the can I dropped my toothbrush in that disolved!

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

plexi12000

ice-9   --you talking about eastwood's 2k?   

yeah....i'd guess my coats were prolly too heavy.  i friggin HATE painting.  it NEVER goes right for me!  hahahaha!    i wanted a lot of layers so i had plenty of 'room' to wet sand and buff.

yeah well....you learn by fking sh*t up!!!!!   ;D

graylensman

Quote from: plexi12000 on May 05, 2015, 10:08:07 PM
yeah well....you learn by fking sh*t up!!!!!   ;D

Two quotes come to mind: I don't fail - I succeed at discovering what doesn't work.
And, Dude - sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something.

alanp

Quote from: plexi12000 on May 05, 2015, 01:18:04 PM
is there any such thing as a lacquer that doesn't take a century to dry?!? lol  i put ten coats of clear on a box three weeks ago....it's still soft.  BAAH!

I use nail polish as a clear coat. Dries rock hard in seconds!

bluebunny

Just echoing the advice to make sure you let your multiple *thin* coats dry before applying the next. Applies to the paint coats too. Been there, done that. :-/
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

antonis

Enviromental conditions order:

Relative Humidity -- Ventilation -- Temperature -- e.t.c. ...

(actually, ONLY Relative Humidity matters - the other conditions just affect to RH degree..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Mark Hammer

Quote from: alanp on May 06, 2015, 02:43:08 AM
Quote from: plexi12000 on May 05, 2015, 01:18:04 PM

I use nail polish as a clear coat. Dries rock hard in seconds!

I draw from my ancient stock of rub-on lettering for legending enclosures.  The older the rub-on transfer, the less it adheres to the enclosure.  So I will sometimes put down a thin layer of clear nail polish first, in the spots where I'm going to legend, just so the lettering has something for "traction".  Then, once the legending has been done, I'll do sprayed coats of clearcoat over that.

davent

Quote from: italianguy63 on May 05, 2015, 08:14:37 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAA!!!

MC

Brushing your teeth in the garage or store the lacquer thinner in the bathroom?
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

tubegeek

Quote from: davent on May 06, 2015, 11:43:18 AM
Quote from: italianguy63 on May 05, 2015, 08:14:37 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAA!!!

MC

Brushing your teeth in the garage or store the lacquer thinner in the bathroom?

Or - bathroom in the garage?
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR